Thread: Bolt Lift - Savage 116 Trophy Hunter with newer (axis) bolt

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Bolt Lift - Savage 116 Trophy Hunter with newer (axis) bolt

Forgot to mention this is on a 300 Win Mag. Not that the heavy lift bothers me while hunting, I like to tinker. Actually I never thought about the heavy lift until I read it on the web. Adrenaline kills the lift after you've shot at a deer LOL. I've read and read about bolt lift on these.

I decided to put a small bear in place of the "ring" between the springs. The bearing added .120" to the assembly w/o the ring between the 2 springs. I put a washer on the BAS that is .130". I put lubriplate on everything. It went from about 11-12# to 9.5-10# constantly. This was using a fairly new, cared for fish scale. So if anything, just use those numbers as a reference and not "calibrated" readings. I could tell a difference watching the gauge....it didn't "stick/hang" as much here and there. Do you think that .010" will make a difference? Do you think I can add a bit more to the BAS to decrease tension? I understand "at my own risk" of course. I'm not going to cut springs because I'd like to be able to "undo" what I've done easily.

I realize the springs serve 4 functions:

1. Holding the cocking roller in place (if thats the correct name for it...the pin that the spring holds in place, got the name from a post)
    2. Holding the firing pin in the "cocked" position at the top of the ramp
    3. Force to hit the firing pin
    4. Primer cup support

Like I said adding the bearing assembly did lower it a tad. W/O the guage though you wouldn't be able to tell the difference except that it is smoother.

It would be really cool if that cocking roller pin had a sleeve on it so it could "roll" across the ramp instead of fighting the force of the spring tension so much. So lets look at that pin for a minute.

Imagine that pin was a smaller diameter and was threaded 80-90% towards the "head". Leaving the metal thickness of the "ramp" not threaded. Slide a greased sleeve on there (bearing would be better). Then thread a piece on there that has the grooves on it that the spring locks into. Polish everything as said everywhere on the net. Would it be worth the time/risk?

Here's a link for the "china" bearings I got. I couldn't find any in the US in a reasonable amount of time searching the web.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351616410853...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks In Advance
    Camar068
    Last edited by Camar068; 01-17-2016 at 12:58 PM. Reason: left out caliber