Thread: Brass Extraction problem

Cjd3

Brass Extraction problem

Since no one at Savage checks their Customer Service board (2weeks no response), any idea how to solve this problem. There is no gap between the bolt face and extractor on my Mark II. Cartridge feeds fine, but the extractor never goes around the rim to grip brass. And it's a lefty too

Basic Member
    Is it occurring with multiple types of ammo, or just a specific type?

Cjd3
    Ill double check next time at the range, but the last two types CCI and Rem wouldn't extract. Now The brass isn't stuck, I can use a pick them pull them out with no problem. Extractor is flush with bolt face.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjd3 View Post
    Ill double check next time at the range, but the last two types CCI and Rem wouldn't extract. Now The brass isn't stuck, I can use a pick them pull them out with no problem. Extractor is flush with bolt face.
    I had this issue with a lot of CCI Standard Velocity. Changed lots and it cleared right up. When you move the extractor away from the bolt face is there play perpendicular to how it should move?

Can you fire the round successfully and then have to manually extract the cartridge?

Basic Member
    I had extraction problems with my Savage MK II, but it was over a year ago and I don't remember where I found the fix. There is a good post with pictures showing how to fine tune the extractor by filing it, but I'll leave it to you to find it.

Anyhow, it shows how to carefully profile the stamped piece so that it functions as it should. The problem with low end weapons is that some parts, like the extractor in this instance, are simple stamped parts and they don't always have the proper shape when they're made. They're usually just assembled without any attention to the fine details. But, with some guidance from the Internet and a set of small files you can fix your extractor in a few minutes. I wish I would remember where I found the guide. It was on one of the popular forums in the Savage section. I hope you can find it.

The c shaped spring that holds the extractor, may be on backwards. Notch in spring goes to the rear.
    Last edited by short round; 01-16-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added spring info

Shootest
    You might try and remove the extractor, make sure no filings or gunk is in the slot and lightly de burr the extractor, then try again.

John

Cjd3
    Quote Originally Posted by short round View Post
    The c shaped spring that holds the extractor, may be on backwards. Notch in spring goes to the rear.
    That's it! Huge difference. I need to take more before pictures prior to disassembly.