Thread: 223 1-9 twist with 50's

warrbuk

223 1-9 twist with 50's

Hello,

I was looking at a model 12 FCV in 223 to shoot ground squirrels with. I noticed that the 223's all came with the 9 twist. I have a large supple (20k) of 50 grain V-Max, and TNT's on hand and was wondering what type of accuracy to expect with those bullets?

Thanks
    Mark

I don't see any reason why you can't shoot them, if for any reason they start coming apart just slow them down a little. I highly doubt you will have that problem. I have an AI version in 9 twist and it's all good.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

The TNT's may well come unglued unless you slow down.
    Remember that your specific barrel smoothness will play a very large part in the absolute numbers. I did this posting 3 years ago. The AMP jacket that Hornady now uses may or may not change things. Also now that Speer out from under those Bas$%rds at ATK, they are furiously working on several things. They are currently pressure testing a brand new manual, and working on several new bullets. Stay tuned, should see something from them later this year.

The math:
    MV * 720 / Twist = RPM

The RPM limits, as told to me by the Manufacturers:

Dogtown bullets:
    @ 260,000 RPM - Nosler made

Varmint Nightmare bullets:
    @ 260,000 RPM - This is based off of my personal reloading experiences with them. 99% sure these are the same as Dogtowns.

Speer TNT's (low velocity):
    @ 240,000 RPM - Based off of info in their loading manuals, and personal experiences. When I have talked to Speer on the phone(last time was a month ago) The people that take "technical" questions really do seem to be clueless, and not particularly helpful with this info.

Hornady V-max & SP's:
    @ 290,000 RPM - Hornady told me last week that the V-max bullets, and SP's have the same rating. While I'm not as big of a fan of them as of late, they are quite helpful on the phone in this arena.

Hornady SXSP:
    @ 240,000-260,000 RPM - One of my children drew me a lovely picture, over my notes; so this figure is difficult to make-out

Sierra Varminter:
    @ 216,000 RPM - The Sierra tech "didn't have his calc sheet in front of him". But told me that the velocity limit was 3600 FPS in a 12 twist barrel.

Sierra BlitzKing:
    @ 352,000 RPM - Same tech as above, claimed the ceiling is 4400 FPS from a 9 twist barrel.

Nosler's BT are the same as the Blitzking.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I've not had any problem with the various 50 gr bullets in my 223, and get good accuracy (typically 1/2 MOA at 100 yds for the v-max and 3/4 MOA for the TNT's).

However, I get even better accuracy with the 52 gr HPBT match 1410 Sierra's.

warrbuk
    Thanks for the info! Darkker you went above and beyond.

I will likely give a 9 twist a try.

Thanks
    MW

Basic Member
    I shoot 50 grain V Max is an AR 15 with 1 in 9 twist. The accuracy is better than I had even hoped for. Normally a 5 shot group from the Oracle upper is around .75 inch CTC. That is with hand loads using TAC.

Aamity
    My FCP-k .223 shoots very well with 55gr at 3240fps and 62gr at 3100 fps out to 400 plus yards. I haven't tried anything heavier than 62gr fmj. I would think it would shoot lighter bullets just fine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    now that Speer out from under those Bas$%rds at ATK, they are furiously working on several things. They are currently pressure testing a brand new manual, and working on several new bullets. Stay tuned, should see something from them later this year.
    I am curious how you discovered that some folks at Speer were not fond of being owned by ATK, and that they are now doing work on new products, including a manual?

It does seem like awhile since they have done either