Thread: Savage 12FV

bayou boy

Savage 12FV

I'm looking at a savage 12FV any one have experience with this model.

Basic Member
    It's heavy and there is no external magazine seen them on sale think Savage has discountinued them better gun would be the model 12 fcp

Team Savage
    I have one. It's heavy for sure. It has a fluted barrel, smooth barrel nut, bottom bolt release, detachable magazine. I worked up 69gr SMK and 55gr Spitzer loads that are very accurate. Barrel fouls like my other Savage factory barrels. It likes to be clean. It works for me. Cabelas has them on sale now for $419. Not sure what the specs are.

Basic Member
    I thought the FVs were all blind mag? At least my .308 did. 26" barrel and accutrigger for $389 at Cabela's is hard to beat though.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    IIRC, the 12FV model is a Cabelas line. The other big box stores like Dicks, Gander, Bass Pro sell the FCV with a detachable mag for about $300 more. I bought a 12FV in 223 for my son this past spring when Savage had a rebate program going on. $269 after rebate and some were buying 2 or 3 at a time just to get the great model 12 action to use on a custom build. The stock is very light so the gun is nose heavy. Some remove the butt pad and add some weight. I bought a Revolution brand laminated stock from E.A. Brown, and bedded it with Devcon.

We performed the recommended break-in on the barrel and started load work up using 53 grain Hornaday V-Max. Went to the range this week with the new gun, and my son, a new shooter with almost no previous experience shot 4 each five shot groups that were sub 1/2 MOA at 100 yds.

I was seated at the bench next to him and stopped shooting after watching his second shot go in the same hole while shooting round robin style with 2 loads being tested. He went on to put 4 shots in a .174 group, and at that point I think I let out with a "holy S*** (did I say that out loud?) Anyway, i guess I made him a bit nervous and the 5th shot landed a bit out of the group. Could have been the load, could have been the shooter, but it definitely wasn't the gun.

Buy it! With a few aftermarket add-ons it is impressively accurate.

bayou boy
    I have a model 10T from Cabela's that's on the heavy side also but it's a great shooter. I guess I will have to go put my hands on the 12 FV and see how it feels.
    Thanks for the input Guy's

The 12FV is a great rifle for the price. If you can get it at Cabelas for under $400, it's a steal. The accuracy is the best I've had from a factory Savage. It's a big gun with its 26" varmint barrel and reasonably rigid plastic stock. It uses a totally blind, center feed mag. I don't know what else to tell you that isn't pretty obvious: side bolt release, unthreaded muzzle, beavertail forend. No other accoutrement was included with my rifle, so rail and optics were additional costs. That's how I prefer things, though, so I can pick my own pieces.

Basic Member
    Bought mine in .22-250 from Cabelas for $380 last fall. Figured I might restock it and later rebarrel. It shoots 55gr Nosler ballistic tips .5 moa all day dirty or clean. I'm not touching it. It does copper foul but that doesn't seem to matter.