Thread: Savage Axis (.243 Win) Sticky Bolt Problem

stirnerstuff

Savage Axis (.243 Win) Sticky Bolt Problem

Hello,

I bought a Savage Axis rifle a couple of months ago, chambered in .243 Winchester. I'll describe everything I've done to the rifle to see if that helps pinpoint the cause of the problem I've been having. I added a bipod, a rail, mounting rings, and a Bushnell Banner rifle scope (4-16x). I also used a small amount of CLP on the bolt and inside the chamber.

The bolt cycles fairly smoothly when unloaded, no ammunition in the magazine or the chamber. However, when there is a round in the chamber or rounds in the magazine, the bolt becomes incredibly difficult to cycle. The most pressure is required when moving the bolt handle up or down. Moving the bolt forward or rearward isn't nearly as difficult.

Here are my questions: Is this normal, should it be this difficult to cycle the bolt when ammunition is in the magazine or chamber? If not, what could be the cause of this issue? What can I do to remedy the problem?

Thank you.

Basic Member
    If it is hard to close with a round in the chamber, and not otherwise, I would suspect a headspace problem. (Too tight). Assuming you are using factory cartridges and not reloads originally fired from a different rifle.

If it is equally difficult with nothing in the chamber but a cartridge in the magazine, I don't know.

Sometimes the front action screw extends too deep into the action and can obstruct the bolt, but I have only seen that when using an aftermarket stock. Also, sometimes a long scope mount screw can obstruct the bolt. Try removing or loosening them one at a time and test it. (Try one, then replace it, move the next)

Other than that, I got nothin.
    Last edited by foxx; 01-13-2016 at 09:22 PM.

I agree with foxx on the headspace being the number one suspect. It could also be the throat not being long enough for your rounds. Have you eliminated cocking problems as a possible culprit?

The effect the loaded magazine is confusing to me and can't be accounted for by any of the problems I can think of that would also cause the hard bolt movements.

stirnerstuff
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    If it is hard to close with a round in the chamber, and not otherwise, I would suspect a headspace problem. (Too tight). Assuming you are using factory cartridges and not reloads originally fired from a different rifle.

If it is equally difficult with nothing in the chamber but a cartridge in the magazine, I don't know.
    Note: The ammunition I'm using is brand-new factory ammo. 100-grain soft-points manufactured by Prvi Partizan.

I meant that it is both difficult to cycle the bolt when there is initially a round in the chamber that has to be ejected and when there is no round in the chamber initially. The difficulty always occurs when the round is in the chamber, though. When there is a round in the chamber, it is incredibly difficult to move the bolt handle up or down, to the point that it is impossible to do so without taking the rifle down from the shoulder and down to the hip and bracing it against the body while working the bolt. I have an old Mosin Nagant whose bolt is far easier to work than this bolt, which is what leads me to believe that this is not normal functioning of the rifle.

Today, when examining the problem further, I noticed that the forward end of the bolt sits about a quarter of an inch further back from the chamber when there is a round in the chamber than it does when there is no round in the chamber. So it seems that the source of the difficulty is that the bolt handle has to not only travel downward, but also much further forward than it does when there is no round in the chamber. Does this sound like a "headspace" problem?

I have called into the gun store that I purchased the rifle through and briefly described the issue to them. They offered to take a look at the rifle if I brought it back into the store, and I suppose that is what I will do. Their workers do gunsmithing work in addition to selling weapons, so I may be able to have them solve the issue for me somehow.
    Last edited by stirnerstuff; 01-14-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Basic Member
    Try cleaning the chamber with a chamber brush or versized bore brush and/or large patch and solvent. Sounds like there might be something in there keeping cartridge from entering the chamber smoothly.

stirnerstuff
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Try cleaning the chamber with a chamber brush or versized bore brush and/or large patch and solvent. Sounds like there might be something in there keeping cartridge from entering the chamber smoothly.
    It's a brand new rifle, I've never even fired it. I did rub down the chamber and bolt with CLP, patches, and cotton swabs a couple of weeks ago anyway, but it doesn't seem to have accomplished anything.

Basic Member
    I understand, but I think there is something in the chamber that is keeping the cartridge from loading properly. It doesn't take much. A grain of sand or a piece of cleaning patch or a pinch of plumber's putty ( I know from experience) can get in there and hold the cartridge back a bit. Sometimes the chamber needs to be polished with a wire brush. Granted, a new one shouldn't, but if there's a burr or something in there, it's easier to remove it yourself or have a smith do it than return it to the factory.

Basic Member
    or the extractor might not be running smoothly along its recess on the bolt face. Try removing the bolt and pressing a fired case against the bolt face, moving the extractor out of the way and see if it is getting hung up on something. The case rim should push it aside as its forced against the face and then "slide/click" back behind it. if the extractor is not running smoothly, it will prevent the bolt from closing easily because it won't get out of the way.

stirnerstuff
    Hey, I just wanted to report back on how it's gone so far with my troubleshooting. I took the rifle in to the store I bought it through, and they told me the following. Firstly, I should buy several different brands of ammunition and see if any of them feed properly. Then, if they do not, I should return the rifle to Savage and have them take a look at it and either work on the rifle or send me a new one.

So, I bought some Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Federal, and Fiocci rounds of various grains (70, 80, and 100). All of them fed perfectly! It turns out that the Prvi Partizan ammo might be made to less exacting specifications, because it seems that the center of the round is a little thicker than the other rounds. As a result, it's harder to close the bolt, and the chamber even leaves a ring-shaped impression or indentation on the center of the round, which can be seen when it extracts!

Anyway, thanks for your recommendations and consideration.

-stirnerstuff

Predator53
    It's the bolt lugs...I had the same problem when it was new...after a few hundred shots the bolt will smooth up...Ive even cycle the bolt on my loading bench a few hundred times...Sharp edges will smooth out.Rusty

Basic Member
    I have the same problems with the prvi ammo. I reload it and only bought it to break in the gun and for brass. After once fired I neck size the brass and don't have issues

Hey fella its not your rifle its the prvi ammo they make the .243 cases fat, its the cheapest ammo i can buy over here in England but the fat cases in .243 are kinda weird and have been reported on in other forums, pitty as its not bad ammo in other calibers.
    You will find no trouble with other brands and mine especially likes remington 95 grain.

swamphonkey
    Yes sir. Its that ammo. I found a batch of SST hornady did same thing in mine. It shot like a house on fire but hard to chamber. Not scary hard but stiff.