Hello, everyone!

I recently discovered that the COAL "jam" lenth for the Hornady 178gr BTHP Match bullets I'm loading up for my .308 Model 11 Hog Hunter is 2.920 inches. That is quite a bit longer that the SAAMI spec of 2.80 inches, resulting in a "jump" of 120/1000 inch. I've purchased a PTG DBM bottom metal (which looks totally solid!) that I've been hoping to install with a future precision stock, but the COAL in the AICS PMAG I have is still limited to 2.86 inches, still leaving what I believe to be quite a bit of jump (60/1000 inch).

My understanding is that a jump of anywhere from 10-20/1000 inch is ideal for accuracy, so I would like to stay as close to that as possible.

I've picked up a box of FGGM 175gr SMKs (2.80 inch COAL) to try out the next time I make it out to the range, and will compare their accuracy to that of my 2.90 inch COAL handloads. I expect that my handloads, with just 20/1000 inch of jump, will be more accurate.

If I choose to move forward with my DBM Bottom Metal and Precision Stock Project, how much of a pain in the butt (wallet!) might it be to have a smith re-chamber my existing barrel for a 20/1000 inch jump at my 2.86 COAL load? (And if you can recommend a reputable smith in the Tacoma, WA area, I'd really appreciate it so that I can go talk with him directly!)

Or, am I making a big deal of nothing, and my 2.86 inch handloads should do just fine with a 60/1000 inch jump??

Thank you all in advance!

Acdieter