Thread: Great day at the range

mugsie

Great day at the range

I took my .308 out to the 600 meter ranger the other day as a guest of one of my friends. My ranges only support 100 - 300 yards, whereas his was 600 meters, so he guested me in. My .308 (in fact all my rifles) is built on a Savage action. I rebarreled it to a Shilen barrel and a Manners stock. It was about 45 degrees out and virtually no wind - perfect day for shooting. The night before I ran some numbers on my loads. This rifle has a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16 Mil-dot scope on it. So I used the Nikon ballistics calculator (http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/s...n.html#Index:4) and printed out what my mil dots would range at using the loads I worked up. 168g SMK clocked at 2880 out of this rifle.

We set up, and my buddy asked me "do you want to begin ranging on the 300 first, since you already have data on that distance?". Nope - I had my charts, so I said I wanted to go right to the 600M. Chart said middle of lowest mil-dot, so that's what I did. Pulled the trigger and waited - splat! Bong! Right on the gong! I was suitable impressed with the calculations and the performance of this setup. It's a proven performer of 1/4 MOA and proved itself again. I was literally calling each shot as to where it would hit. Changed targets to paper and it was printing about a three inch grouping at 600 meters all day. **** I love that rifle!

Switched to my .260. This one started out as a 300 Win Mag that I purchased at a pawn shop. Unlike the .308, it's a long action. It too sports a Shilen barrel and a SSS stock and a Leupold scope. Since this scope only has a cross hair, I cranked in the 32 MOA adjustment the charts said I needed and fired. Rounds where chrony'd at 2800'/sec prior. First shot was low. Added a couple more clicks and second shot just clipped the bottom of the gong. Added a couple more and Boing! Dead center. After that is was the same as the .308 - bang - Boing, bang Boing all day. Switched back over to the .308 again with 155g A-Maxs and they too clocked right to the chart with each shot going exactly where I aimed. I couldn't have had a better more rewarding day! Now I'm looking to stretch these two rifles out to 1000 yards, only in eastern PA that's difficult.

So - great day - great rifles and extremely pleased with the Savage products.

Stay well people....

Basic Member
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Great shooting! I too want to get out to 600 but it's quite a drive from where I live, so it makes it kind of hard to get out there.

- Slow

Basic Member
    Not sure where in EPA you are, but there's a place in Williamsport that has a 1,000 yard range. Never been personally, but I know they hold a good amount of matches there. You may try it out if you have a weekend with nothing better to do. I'm originally from Philly and it's about 3 hours on the nose 1-way. Made plans to visit it and then got moved to SC for work. Now my 1,500 yard range is less than 20 minutes away

Here's the link if you're interested: http://http://www.pa1000yard.com/

Nice shooting and good luck!
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by mugsie View Post
    I took my .308 out to the 600 meter ranger the other day as a guest of one of my friends. My ranges only support 100 - 300 yards, whereas his was 600 meters, so he guested me in. My .308 (in fact all my rifles) is built on a Savage action. I rebarreled it to a Shilen barrel and a Manners stock. It was about 45 degrees out and virtually no wind - perfect day for shooting. The night before I ran some numbers on my loads. This rifle has a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16 Mil-dot scope on it. So I used the Nikon ballistics calculator (http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/s...n.html#Index:4) and printed out what my mil dots would range at using the loads I worked up. 168g SMK clocked at 2880 out of this rifle.

We set up, and my buddy asked me "do you want to begin ranging on the 300 first, since you already have data on that distance?". Nope - I had my charts, so I said I wanted to go right to the 600M. Chart said middle of lowest mil-dot, so that's what I did. Pulled the trigger and waited - splat! Bong! Right on the gong! I was suitable impressed with the calculations and the performance of this setup. It's a proven performer of 1/4 MOA and proved itself again. I was literally calling each shot as to where it would hit. Changed targets to paper and it was printing about a three inch grouping at 600 meters all day. **** I love that rifle!

Switched to my .260. This one started out as a 300 Win Mag that I purchased at a pawn shop. Unlike the .308, it's a long action. It too sports a Shilen barrel and a SSS stock and a Leupold scope. Since this scope only has a cross hair, I cranked in the 32 MOA adjustment the charts said I needed and fired. Rounds where chrony'd at 2800'/sec prior. First shot was low. Added a couple more clicks and second shot just clipped the bottom of the gong. Added a couple more and Boing! Dead center. After that is was the same as the .308 - bang - Boing, bang Boing all day. Switched back over to the .308 again with 155gr A-Max's and they too clocked right to the chart with each shot going exactly where I aimed. I couldn't have had a better more rewarding day! Now I'm looking to stretch these two rifles out to 1000 yards, only in eastern PA that's difficult.

Stay well people....
    Some fine shooting there! I hope my 260 shoots as well when I get it built.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Sounds like a good day indeed!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mugsie View Post

Switched to my .260. This one started out as a 300 Win Mag that I purchased at a pawn shop. Unlike the .308, it's a long action. It too sports a Shilen barrel and a SSS stock and a Leupold scope. Since this scope only has a cross hair, I cranked in the 32 MOA adjustment the charts said I needed and fired. Rounds where chrony'd at 2800'/sec prior. First shot was low. Added a couple more clicks and second shot just clipped the bottom of the gong. Added a couple more and Boing! Dead center. After that is was the same as the .308 - bang - Boing, bang Boing all day. Switched back over to the .308 again with 155g A-Maxs and they too clocked right to the chart with each shot going exactly where I aimed. I couldn't have had a better more rewarding day! Now I'm looking to stretch these two rifles out to 1000 yards, only in eastern PA that's difficult.

Stay well people....
    Good for you! Sounds like you have an excellent "arrow" there, but most of the credit has to go to the "Indian!" Nice work.

I know Im lucky to have a place to send them to distance. Ive placed this pic before. Theres steel targets buried in concrete from 200 out to 1300 (so far). You cant see them unless you know there there, which is the way I prefer it. Elevation is @ 4200-4400ft. Wide open valley. The cross winds "usually" behave themselves here in this location.
    Have a buddy who sends them out to a mile here with his 50. Peace of cake.
    This is the spot you need mugsie.
    http://s182.photobucket.com/user/edd...d3088.jpg.html
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 01-30-2016 at 05:34 PM.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by eddiesindian; 01-30-2016 at 05:48 PM.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    Not sure where in EPA you are, but there's a place in Williamsport that has a 1,000 yard range. Never been personally, but I know they hold a good amount of matches there. You may try it out if you have a weekend with nothing better to do. I'm originally from Philly and it's about 3 hours on the nose 1-way. Made plans to visit it and then got moved to SC for work. Now my 1,500 yard range is less than 20 minutes away

Here's the link if you're interested: http://http://www.pa1000yard.com/

Nice shooting and good luck!
    I dont believe you will find you can just stop by and shoot at the Williamsport facility, which is actually about 20 miles north.
    You can at Ridgway however if your a member. Any day all day except when there are matches.
    I believe you can at Mifflin county sportsman also.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Seeing this picture makes me wish I was back in New Mexico! There were places along the Pecos River where I could shoot out to 1200 yards and more.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I am still trying to wrap my head around the 32 minutes of adjustment needed to go to 600 yards with a 260. Had to be a mistake
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Roger that earl. I'm @ 29 ish @ 1K with my 260.

Team Savage
    I'm with you guys, I believe 32 minutes was a typo. I could believe 12 or so.