Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms Rifle Scopes

Primary Arms Rifle Scopes

I was looking at their scopes on line and the prices are reasonable. Anyone using this brand? One thing I noticed is the highest magnification they have is 4X16.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    If you're talking about the 4-16x44 FFP scope that they have, I've yet to see someone that hasn't really liked them for the money. I know I love mine. Glass isn't on par with Vortex or some of the bigger brand scopes, but it's certainly not bad by any means. Turrets track nice, eye relief is good for what it is, and the glass is surprisingly clear even at max magnification.

Only problems I've really ever heard of have been with defects from the factory, like canted reticles. In each scenario, the scope has been replaced no questions asked as they have a great warranty, so even if you do have any issues then you just send it back and get another one. Was going to put another one of these on my 6.5 Grendel AR because for $230, they're tough to beat.

Depending on your application, you might also check out the Swift Premier line of scopes as they're comparably priced and have magnification levels up to 32x. Though they're not FFP, I know a lot of guys that use them and are super happy. I've been able to look through a handful of them, and like the PA, the class is surprisingly clear for how cheap it is overall. Mueller I believe also has some offerings in that realm but have no personal experience with them.

The general consensus with the cheaper scopes is that, while you get what you pay for, they are certainly serviceable for some LR plinking or even certain hunting applications. The glass and features are about as good as you can expect from a ~$300 scope, but are certainly a viable option for those on a budget.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

As winnieTB said, I'm stupid happy with mine, just be sure you are looking at the correct one, as several are available.
    The one I have doesn't have the BDC type reticle, Just the regular USMC mil/mil.

Over on Shootersforum I did a side X side review with multiple shooters against the SWFA 3-15 & a Weaver #800363. When shooting near a mile, the glass on the PA is MUCH better than the SWFA. The turrets do track extremely well, and honestly felt better than the SWFA. I know that Foghorn did a nice review a few years ago over on TheTruthAboutGuns site.

I've now logged a bit over 1,500 rounds of Creedmoor with mine, and it's tumbled down a canyon on a 4-wheeler. Still zero issues. For $239, everyone else honestly should be ashamed of themselves for asking prices of a FFP.
    The optics are better than many scopes in the Sub $800 range. But they definitely are not any better than that class. The Weaver can occasionally be found for $650. THAT is next best step IMO, beyond that you truly need to be +$1,000.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Just as a point of clarification, the 4x16 scope is SFP. The much talked-about FFP scope is 4x14.

I'm familiar with the Swift line having gotten two from Jim at NSS for $99 each. They're 6,5X20's and work well on my 308 and 223AI. It looks like I'll have to give Primary Arms a try when the time comes to drop money for a scope to go on my 260 build.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I put the 4-14 FFP on my 22 trainer rifle so it would be a mil/mil FFP setup like my match rifle. So far it's fantastic.

Basic Member
    The PA 4-14x mildot is a good buy. Mine has held up very well on my 10P .308.

Basic Member
    Yeah I think the PA FFP version is fine for anything .308 and under. Anything beyond that and I've heard that it starts getting a little hairy. OP, I didn't realize you were talking about the SFP scope, but I have no personal experience with that one.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

I've got the 4-14 FFP with the regular Mildot reticle. It's been on a 243, my AR and my 6.5x47 and I really like it. It's a great magnification for a hunting scope, and I use it out to 515 yards with no issues. It was great for me because it's a cheap (er) way to introduce myself to the mil platform of scopes.

I keep reading about how clear they are. About 2 months ago I ran into a fellow that had one on a 10T and I could not see what people rave about. Clarity was not what I expected due to all the post I read on them. I put him behind my Meopta and he couldn't believe that scopes could be so clear and bright.
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-18-2016 at 11:28 PM.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Yeah I mean I think it's all relative to what you're paying for them... If you temper your expectations for a <$300 scope, you'll be pleased with the quality of glass. If you pay for the PA and expect a NF, well, you're going to be disappointed.

I agree with the notion, just not the example. The glass/coatings are notably better than the SWFA 3-15 at distance. So remember what you pay for the PA, but also remember what others charge for the same level.

I have 3 of the PA 4-14 FFP scopes with the mil dot reticle. The glass on all three is consistent and is on about the same level as my 3-9 Leupold Vari-X II's I have, all from the 80's. They don't compare, however, to my 3-9 Zeiss Terra's. I'm currently doing some testing with a 338 WinMag and the PA, knowing up front that Marshall at PA has recommended a limit of 308 Winchester on them. If it fails, I won't send it back for warranty replacement - I'll just buy another.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Let us know how it goes, I'd be interested to see how it holds up.

I have one on a 264 win mag held up fine so far 50 rounds fired 3 hunting seasons.

Yes, please do.
    A Friend has several hundred round through his 300WM with no issues thus far, but he isn't a volume shooter.

Pvineyard
    How would it compare to the vortex viper pa 6-20? Or nikon 308 line?

Basic Member
    I think the consensus is that the glass quality is about the same, with the advantage going to the PA for exposed turrets and mil/mil adjustments. You obviously get slightly more magnification with the Vortex, but you lose some of that versatility for LR shots with less adjustment... Just one of those things where you need to way the benefits/disadvantages and make a decision based on your application.

In my personal opinion, magnification succumbs to versatility as long as the glass quality is the same. I'm able to see the same to 1000+ yards with 14x mag as I am the 20x mag... just depends on personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvineyard View Post
    How would it compare to the vortex viper pa 6-20? Or nikon 308 line?
    The one I looked through would not compare to a Viper. It was more on the BSA, Barska, Tasco (not the good old Japanese models). Again, I know people rave over them but to me it was dim and unclear.
    More shooting, less typing.

Team Savage
    I have the PA with the bdc that is set up for 308. It's a ranging reticle for fast target acquisition. I'm on the road and don't have it in front of me but it is very accurate. The only complaint I have is the turrets are mushy. But I have found that shooting the load they based the reticle off of, there is very few times the turrets ever need to be turned. I shoot this on my ar10 and hundreds of rounds later, still just as accurate.

A slight hijack but for cqb 3 gun scope , good, real good budget scope is hi-lux.

Basic Member
    I think they are great hunting scopes and target scopes on budget target rifles. Military Arms Channel guy did his 1k yard challenge under $1k and it performed well. I forgot to mention I also have one on my Remington .223 coyote gun and really have enjoyed it both of my platforms. It does not compare, however, to my Leupold Mark4 or Trijicon Accupoint. Just as accurate but not as clear or bright.

Basic Member
    I put one of the PA FFP scopes on one of my AR's. I have a Bushnell AR223 scope and a Sightron SII scope on two other AR's.
    The Primary Arms glass runs in last place with these 3 scopes to my eyes. The Bushnell is bighter,and the Sightron is clearer edge to edge at any range you look at with them. The turrets on the PA scope are pretty good,and it tracks well,the Bushnell turrets feel like your turning a sponge,the Sightron has covered turrets with 1/8th moa clicks,so I usually leave it be after it is zeroed.

For what it cost,the Primary Arms FFP scope is a good buy,but it's still a lower tier optic.

Basic Member
    My PA 4-14x mil dot has remained solid for a couple years now. I keep sub MOA with factory precision ammo and can remember the few times it spread to an MOA on me. If you want to upgrade later, it can be swapped to another rifle but it is one of those that I'll keep around until it craps the bed. I have read that their warranty is not that good on their own website. That being said, if it doesn't break what does that really matter? I'm going to sell my remmy 700 .223 and keep the PA off that because the PA to me is worth more that the remmy

Vanilla Gorilla
    I have 3 of their scopes. I have the 1x-6x 5.56/.308 for my ar-15, the 1x-6x 300blk version for my blk, and the 4-14x44 FFP for my Rem 700 .308 and love them all. I don't think that you can beat them for the price. They have held up really well so far and the glass seems to be pretty clear. I know they may not match up to a high end vortex or a nightforce but remember that you are only paying a fraction of the price for one of these. I know that they just came out with another version that is considerably more expensive and would like to hear from someone that might have one of these. I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of these scopes.

How well do they track? Thats about as important as optical quality to me, within reason of course.
    "Knowledge can be taught... Wisdom can only be learned."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast