Thread: Difference between Axis and 10?

Turbolung

Difference between Axis and 10?

Im going to add a 243 to my arsenal and curious what the difference is between the axis and 10.. Hard to resist the $300 price of axis..lol Also..I want sub moa at 100..is the axis line capable of that out the box?

Basic Member
    Different action, different stock, different trigger -- different rifle. Yes, the Axis is capable of sun MOA shooting, and well worth the paltry price.

Turbolung
    How about moa at 200? Sorry for all the questions...I'm a buy once kinda guy..with a limited budget. And is that an unrealistic expectation for the model or caliber?

Basic Member
    No not at all. Quite a few members here shoot under MOA at 200 yards, my Axis .204 Ruger did so with factory ammo.

Seems to me the consensus is that out the box with good factory ammo the Axis is a 1-1.5 MOA gun . And with a few mods and some tinkering it's not to hard to improve on that.

Turbolung
    Thank you Sir..

Basic Member
    I just bought a barely used Axis in 7mm-08,and for the price I am pleased,but the fact that a rifle chambered for a short action round is built on a long action is sort of a bummer.I have a 10 in 243,and it is a true short action rifle..I intended to replace the scope that came on my 7-08 with a Redfield Revolution that I have been saving,and was shocked that It was to short to use with the two piece bases...

doodedge
    Maybe you'll get lucky or just shoot better than me but I wasn't able to shoot moa with my 308 HB axis out of the box with factory ammo. Around 1.5moa. Six months later with hand loads, boyds stock, DIY pillers, DIY JB weld bed job, DIY trigger job I've shot several groups under .5 at 100.

Just bought my dad a trophy hunter XP 270 for christmas. Haven't seen what groups its shooting yet but it's a much nicer feeling rifle out of the box for sure. The accutrigger is beautiful. Was 505$ from budsgunshop plus a 15$ transfer fee and taxes.

If you are a DIY kind of guy and want to turn ****(not that the axis is ****) into gold I would go with the axis. If you aren't great with home tools, or working on a firearm makes you nervous I would go with the 10.
    Last edited by doodedge; 01-13-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Basic Member
    Axis is a fine rifle.

But Cabela's does have Model 12 FV's with 26" target barrels for $419 right now... Just figured I'd throw some fuel on the fire
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Turbolung
    I appreciate the information Fellers..I dont mi d upgrading..its fun..I just wanna make sure o start with a solid platform and have realistic expectations. I know what I'm capable of..so I have to make sure what I'm shooting is better than me lol what I'm really after is a rifle that I can shoot long range. Not talking 1000 yards..that's probably not realistic with a 243..but I don't want 500 yards or more to be out of reach either. I'm sure y'all know where I'm coming from and most of you have probably been exactly where I am with this. If I need to spend a few hundred more for what I'm seeking..that's cool..bit having to buy a second rifle isn't. I don't want to have to replace the barrel either. I don't know how..and from what iv seen..by the time I change the barrel I could have gotten a better gun and still came out ahead. What I REALLY want is a browning with the boss. Had a 270 that put em through the same hole all day with winchester silverbox ammo. That was THE most accurate rifle I ever shot. But..I can't afford one of those again..so..making due..

1000 yards with a .243 Winchester isn't impossible, but the factory barrel probably won't get you there as readily as a 1:8 or faster twist. My 1000 yard gun is an Axis in .243 Win with a 26" 1:8 twist barrel.

That said, I also have a 12FV from Cabelas, and it is my current recommendation for out of the box value.

Turbolung
    Man..I was almost ready to "pull the trigger" on the purchase til I saw the info about the model 12 lol would the upgrade from axis to model 12 make it 1000 yarder? If not il just save my money and get a great scope..but if its that big of a performance improvement idbe crazy to not hold out for the 12.. Lol I like that y'all can appreciate my delima here

rfd12fv
    i believe there is much value to an axis hb in any caliber offered. however, some mandatory mods need to performed - rockite the entire stock (easy and less than $10 cheap), "tune" the stock trigger or replace with a basix axis trigger (under $100). get good glass. as with most any rifle or cartridge, handloads will be required for supreme accuracy at any distance. the .243win cartridge is capable of well over 1000 yard acceptable accuracy on humanoid vital dimensioned targets, using an swfa fixed 10x42 scope ($300) and carefully built cartridges.

Last edited by rfd12fv; 01-15-2016 at 07:48 AM.

rfd12fv

rfd12fv