Thread: Shot first handloads today-High Pressure

lostart

Shot first handloads today-High Pressure

I got to take the new stevens .243 out today for the first time. Zeroed at 100 with some factory hornady 100gr light mags. Then I switched to the first handloads that I have had the opportunity to try. 55gr noslers with H414. Nosler says max load of 52.5 gr while hodgdon says max of 50.0gr. At 51.5gr I started to see pressure signs. I was hoping to push them a little harder, but I guess thats as far as I can go with this load. All loads previous shot reasonably well, but was getting frustrated with the sporter barrel heating up after every three shots.

Gunna finish finding a good pdog load with the 243 then I guess Ill switch to the swift barrel which should add a little more fun.

Any suggestions for the 55gr bullets? I know it's hit and miss.

Uncle Jack

Re: Shot first handloads today-High Pressure

".....Any suggestions for the 55gr bullets?"

55gr bullets in a 220 Swift?

Win brass
    Win primers
    37.5gr 4064
    3750fps +or-

uj

lostart

Sorry Jack, that was unclear. I meant for the .243, but thanks for the heads up on the 220 swift load

dcloco

H414 can be a bit tempermental at times. Slow things down a bit.

Who cares how fast the missile flies, as long as it hits the intended target. :)

Are you using a chronograph yet?

Google " AUDETTE LADDER " or " modified audette ladder " ....your answer is there.

lostart

dcloco,

That was an interesting read and I will definitely give that test a try. I know the max load for the gun now and that should prove beneficial for determining loads for the test. I am wanting to see how well I can make the 55gr shoot and then possibly move to the 87gr bullet.

No chrono yet, brother in law has one that I can borrow with a little notice.

Thanks for the advice. That should speed things up greatly.

dcloco

Borrow the chrono. High pressure does not always show on the brass. Watch for the speed to increase, decrease or level out, then get erratice or increase.

Keep notes in your log book on temp, wind direction, humidity, and barometric pressure. Sounds like a pain, but just do it. :) Will come in VERY handy down the road.

I only WISH that I had recorded more info years ago. Would be WAY ahead of the curve....

lostart

Just got done making the loads for the ladder test. Should be interesting. I also loaded a few to zero at 200yrds and test from there. I will borrow the chrono. May be able to go monday or tuesday morning before the afternoon winds pickup.

Thanks for the advice. Ill take a book along

lostart

Well, I went to the range today and did a ladder test. I think that I found a load range. 50.5gr should do just fine as it is dead center of the range that did the best. I loaded up a few of 51grns and those shoot well also, though there are slightly flat primers. With 51gns I could get two touching, but the third would go high and right about 1/2 inch. Probably that flimsy stock.

50.5 looks just as promising as the loads around it were a quarter inch apart. Pretty dang excited, especially when I didn't think the rifle would shoot them well.

Ill probably play with it a little more and get one of those b&c medalists before I switch to the 220 swift barrel and start with that.

Thanks for the advise, Tom. If I get time later, I will post the ladder test target and see what you have to say.

Basic Member

if you want to have some real fun try the 87gr hornadys with 46.7 gr. of h4831 3230fps my stevens 243 with a stockys thumbhole .500 groups MARK25-06

lostart

Mark,
    I looked for some of the 87grainers but they only had hollow points at the gunshop today. I want to try the vmax...goin to have to go to that big chain store that starts with a C...dang it!

lostart

Click on the thumbnail for a larger view. Hopefully you all can see the numbers.

#12 is a flyer, but the rest are pretty honest shots.

This one might be better.

[img width=337 height=450]http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y317/lostart406/0629101859.jpg[/img]