Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: axis heavy barrel

hunter55

axis heavy barrel

I have been thinking about a axis heavy barrel rifle in 223 to bang around this winter did savage discontinue them all of a sudden nothing on web site

doodedge
    That's strange, the page that used to be the heavy barrel is blank- http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...XISHeavyBarrel

You can still find them though:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/97926

Basic Member
    evidently Savage is having a problem on the web site tonight, I cannot get to the HB axis rifle either to look
    I have a new Axis 22-250 HB next to me right now

Basic Member
    at the bottom of the savage web page

Our apologies, there was an unexpected error...

I was just looking at them a couple days ago

hunter55
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    at the bottom of the savage web page

Our apologies, there was an unexpected error...

I was just looking at them a couple days ago
    thanks guys for the info

rfd12fv
    axis hb in .223rem - great choice, great minds think alike, love mine!

kanddr
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd12fv View Post
    axis hb in .223rem - great choice, great minds think alike, love mine!

Is that a weaver base or something else?

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by kanddr View Post
    Is that a weaver base or something else?
    yes, a weaver base.

Mine rocks. Great rifle for the money

Basic Member
    Think I will look for one in .223

rfd12fv
    clearly, i believe that the axis presents a great value in a bolt action rifle. better yet with just a few tweaks made to it.

the choice of cartridge should be dependent on the prime use of the rifle. i'll use myself as an example ...

with respect to long guns, i prefer using black powder as my rifle propellent, so my main long guns are bpcr rolling blocks and traditional muzzleloaders. black powder cartridges and muzzleloaders typically take more thought to both their loading, fouling control and subsequent mandatory after session cleaning rituals

wanting to add in a "lazy man's white powder rifle" to the arsenal, for times when i just need an accurate bang stick for both range and varmints, with no time sensitive muss or fuss cleaning, the clear choice for me is the .223rem. for the reloading i prefer to do, range brass is easy to acquire (free cases), takes a small powder charge (cheap), and relatively cheap bullets. the .223rem is easy to shoot, light recoil and can be loaded quite accurate out to and perhaps past 300 yards. while i hunt larger critters with a longbow, others may consider a 30 caliber axis for gun hunting deer and larger game, or maybe a .22-250 or .243win for longer range varmints. lotsa axis cartridge choices. all depends on yer needs 'n' wants. enjoy.

Basic Member
    seems odd but the Axis HB web page at Savage still does not display

rfd12fv
    right ... i noticed weeks ago that the hb models are no longer offered. bummers.

Basic Member
    posted a message on Savages Facebook page Monday and still no replay from them on the Axis HB web page not working or if they have been Discontinued

Basic Member
    from savage today

Unfortunately the Axis heavy Barrel was discontinued. It was an item that was discontinued early this year and so is still in our catalog, but it is not in production. You may still be able to find it at dealers. If you have your heart set on one and cannot find one in stores, you can call our custom shop and they will be able to make one for you.

Best wishes,
    Savage Arms

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    from savage today

Unfortunately the Axis heavy Barrel was discontinued. It was an item that was discontinued early this year and so is still in our catalog, but it is not in production. You may still be able to find it at dealers. If you have your heart set on one and cannot find one in stores, you can call our custom shop and they will be able to make one for you.

Best wishes,
    Savage Arms
    as expected, unfortunately. too bad for all of us. what were they thinking? ah yes, the money, of course.

Basic Member
    I am confused. If the Axis HB models have been dropped, then why is there a rebate being offered through July 2016?

darn i am glad i got mine that stinks......

Basic Member
    plenty of dealers out there still have them, would not mind a HB .223, looking now

Basic Member
    Pretty poor marketing strategy on Savage's behalf. If there is a demand, albeit maybe not big, for the Axis HB, then why would they have to give up 50 bucks per sale to get them out of the system? Looks like Savage didn't do their homework.

if they were trying to save money why not eliminate the axis 2 xp? they could have disc. the old axis with the old triggers too.that way you could have a regular axis with the accutrigger, and the hb model with the accutrigger too.guess i dont get it most folks want to pick their own scope anyway. mine came with a sharpshooter 4x12x40 ao on it. that went straight off and i replaced it with a legend ultra anyway.

There are a couple of dealers selling these NIB on gunbroker. I just won a bid last night on a 243 HB for $246 (saw one go 2 days ago for $237). Shipping added $25 and I'll have to pay $20 for the ffl transfer. The $50 rebate will negate that so pretty good deal. All ready got a tracking number so I should have it early next week.

Basic Member
    I only saw .243 and 22-250 HB barrels listed on there when I looked , was looking for a HB .223 myself

Basic Member
    .243 on sale for buy it now for $239, don't remember if it is allowed to post the link :)

huntined
    I just picked up the axis HB in 22-250 at a local gun shop last week and love it. They also had them in 243. I could not pass it up because the price was so cheap. They have them on sale for $239 then there is a $50 mail in rebate from savage. That makes the final price $189 - a no brainer! Thinking of going back for one in 243.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast