Thread: My first Savage/Stevens

mantihunter

My first Savage/Stevens

Wanted to post some pics of my first Savage/Stevens rifle. I've been visiting this sight for awhile and found lots of good info. Thanks for the help in deciding to buy a Stevens 200 in 25-06. Like many, I wasn't thrilled with the color of the stock, so I decided to paint it. Wanted something that would work in the sage flats of Utah that I call home and hunt mule deer. I used Krylon Fusion camo paint, first painting the entire stock a dark green. Then I used a plastic leaf cluster I got at the local craft store for $1.49 and sprayed the leaves with a tan color. My camera work isn't the best, so it's really hard to see exactly how the rifle turned out, but I'm thrilled with it and hope to shoot it tomorrow. I mounted a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope, 3-9x40 with Butler Creek flip up caps in Weaver bases and Weaver Quad Lock rings. Have some Barnes 100 gr. TSXs loaded with Retumbo I'll try in the morning. Powder may be a little slow burning for the 22" barrel, so I may try some IMR 4350 and 4831 and some R-19 also with the triple shocks. I'll post a range report after the shooting session.
    Thanks again to all for the valuable info. My next purchase will probably be another Stevens in 223.

Goose

Re: My first Savage/Stevens

sounds great, I bet you'll like it. I love my stevens 200 in 270.

EVOC ONE

The picture didn't come through for me. From your description, it would seem like you have a nice set-up.

I have a Stevens in .223 as well as an older 110. Both shoot everything well, reloads or factory.

:)

mantihunter

Sorry no pics. I'm technologically challenged and have taken them, but can't figure out how to post them. My partner here at the S.O. is computer savvy. When he gets in I'll see if he can help me post them. I got to the range Saturday morning. 3/4"-1 1/8" groups with no load juggling. Winchester brass, WLR primers, 59 grs. Retumbo powder and 100 gr. Barnes TSX. I may adjust seating depth a little, and also try some IMR 4350, IMR 4831 and some H4831. So far, I'm totally happy with the results and can't wait to try it on Muleys and Antelope. Buddy and I are also planning a N/E Wyoming whitetail hunt for November. Can't wait!!!