Thread: .31" average group size for 4-shot groups at 100 yds

Basic Member

.31" average group size for 4-shot groups at 100 yds

About 3 weeks ago, one of the range masters at the range where I shoot was helping a friend who was having some erratic results with Federal Premium Gold Medal Match .308 168 grain factory loads. Apparently the particular lot was not the best. We weren't able to get anything smaller than 1/2" groups out of a gun that easily shoots 1/4" at 100 yds. So the range master brings out a box of Ultramax remanufactured 110 grain sierra and he proceeded to shoot 2 3-shot bughole groups. I'd never even heard of 110 grain 308 bullets. Long story short, I bought a couple of boxes of the Ultramax and sure enough, I was also shooting bugholes with the ammo.

My last two trips to the range with this ammo have produced an average group size of .31", including groups where I pulled a shot or two. Most of the groups have been in the range of .16-.25". Yesterday I shot two 4-shot groups below .25", with the largest group measuring .444" (it was a 5-shot group, as I wasn't happy with the way the group looked after 4 shots).

What do you guys think of this? Do I have a winner here or what?? Any rationale for why this ammo would produce such results?

-Slow

It sounds like you have a winner to me! Shooting consistent bug holes with a .308 is not easy to do, compared to milder cartridges.

What twist is the barrel? And I would like to know all about the rifle.

A 110gr. would be nice in my .308 for our short rang competition's. They say flat base bullets are more accurate at short range.

Regard's
    Dan
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member
    Dan,

The rifle I'm shooting (which is my #1 go-to rifle for 100 yds and above) is a Savage model 12 F/TR. It has a 30" "extra-heavy" barrel in 1/12 twist, target action/accutrigger. Bone stock, no mods. I have it topped off with a Nightforce Competition 15-55x52 scope over an EGW 0-moa base. I shoot it off a Harris bipod and rear bag off the bench.

-Slow

That's a great rifle Slow, you need to get into reloading! You'll be able to ring out all the accuracy possible with your rifle.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

You know who shoots 4 shot groups? The guy that's scared he's gonna pull that 5th shot and screw the group up! Lolol

Kidding, great shooting. Sounds like you've got a winner.

Basic Member
    Hey Upslide, you're not too far from the truth there!!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    That's a great rifle Slow, you need to get into reloading! You'll be able to ring out all the accuracy possible with your rifle.
    Dan, I've been contemplating reloading for quite a while now. They problem for me is that I work as a software engineering consultant and I have very little time left over for reloading, but you're right, I think I would ring out the last bit of accuracy if I was loading my own rounds.

- Slow

That's some fine grouping with a 308.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67