Thread: Resizing 7mm RM

Basic Member

Resizing 7mm RM

I have a bunch of 7mm RM brass that is once fired in a Encore barrel. I FL sized this brass and it was primed and ready to reload. I have sold off the Encore barrel and now I find this brass won't fit in my Savage 7mm RM chamber. Any ideas?

possum1

Re: Resizing 7mm RM

I ran into this on my first Savage. Someone reccomended I take the de-capping pin out of my F/L sizer and resize them . It worked for me. Mine were 243.

Basic Member

Not sure how that will work. The problem is down by the belt. It seems the die doesn't size far enough down the length of the case. I am pretty new to hand loading, so I am not sure what do to. I tried screwing the die down a bit, but ended up with a stuck case. Got that out with no problems, but now I am stuck.

possum1

Did you lube the case ? Taking the de-capping pin out is the only way you can save the primer's. My Savage had a lot tighter chamber than my single shot. You'll probably have to screw the f/l die down quite a bit.

Basic Member

Yea, I am not worried about the primers, plan to keep them in by taking the pin out, but that won't do any thing to fix my problem. Yup, the case was lubed as always. I am wondering if grinding down the shell holder would be better?

possum1

You've lost me ??? You should be able to size the brass to fit the Savage chamber by adjusting the die farther down into the press.

this is a common problem with switching brass to a different rifle. Some some will go and some never will. When you have a loose chamber and hot rounds you get growth at and near the base that sizing dies cant always get too. I have found ways around it sometimes and sometimes had to give up and pitch the brass in the scrap bucket.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

This is a known issue with a belted mags and swapping chambers. You need to run the brass through a body die or Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die so it will chamber.
    Kyle
    I might have a few savage rifles.

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by ATLRoach
    This is a known issue with a belted mags and swapping chambers. You need to run the brass through a body die or Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die so it will chamber.
    Yes, the belt bottom in the die before the body forward of it is sized enough. There are two ways to solve it. One, have a custom die made or two, buy one of Larry's collet dies.

http://www.larrywillis.com/index.html

Its only a matter where you want to spend the money, for a die or new brass.

Bills

Basic Member

So that means the encore chamber was way bigger than the Savage chamber because the loads I was shooting were nowhere near hot. I am going to try running them one more time with the hornady die, then pitch the brass if it doesn't work

possum1

I'm not comparing a Encore chamber to a H&R because I've never had a Encore. On my two H&R's I had to trim brass after every firing, had a few head separation's. Never seen brass grow so much !! That's when I first started to hand load. I do know their chamber's were waaaaay bigger. Of coarse your referring to a magnum chamber, don't know squat about those and very little about what I have. That's one reason I've set my head space very tight on my rifle's.