Thread: First impression Mcgowen Precision Barrel

Heavies

First impression Mcgowen Precision Barrel

I am currently starting a budget F-class rifle based off of a Savage Target Action; I have just got the first piece of the puzzle... a Mcgowen Precision Barrel.
    I ordered the barrel on 4-14-2010 and received the product on 6-16-2010. The lead time that was given was 6 weeks, it is a little late but that's to be expected when ordering a custom product.

First Impressions:

Got down to the Post Office to pick up the package and ?? the package is damaged... Looks like the tube they packed it in was a little short and the tip got smashed. I proceeded to inspect the barrel, and it does not looked to be damaged. (I'll have to put the project together to know for sure )

The barrel itself is a work of art. Very nicely polished, chamber is smooth, rifling is crisp and sharp, bore looks to be mirror lapped, and the 11 degree target crown looks very evenly cut and exit is sharp.

So far I like what I see, but the proof will be down range.. All I need now is the rest of the puzzle. Just waiting on the action and stock from Sharp Shooter Supply. (come on SSS don't let me down!)
    Can't Wait...
    ;D

Team Savage

Re: First impression Mcgowen Precision Barrel

There have been quite a few posts of problems with Mcgowen barrels lately it seems, but i've got one in 6.5x55 that is one of the best barrels i ever owned. Hope yours turns out as good as mine did. ;D
    Stu

Heavies

I have been seeing bad reviews as well. I certainly hope they got all those issues settled. I just got ahold of SSS the other day. About 4 more weeks for completion of action and stock. I'll have to see then. ;D

learjet

ive got 2 mcgowens, a 308 thats 2years old, and a new 338 rum. they have both been perfect. i too hope they have solved their problems, as i will be buying more barrels from them

fatdaddy

+1, I have 2 6mm br Mcgowens and there both fine barrels. Bill

flatshooter

I have a .243 win. from them with a 1:12 twist 26" varmimt..... shoots great at 100 but 300, I'm still working on. My stock sporter barrel shoots the same accuracy at 300 hundred as the McGowen. :-\

Maybe a bed job might help?

tinkerer

I ordered a McGowen 7mm Savage pre-thread bull for my SP. They said 6-8 week lead time. That was June 8.

Ross called my last night. It was at his place for a chamber and muzzle brake. 2 weeks

Now I have to explain to the wife about that purchase spread out over 2 months stuff just became 2 weeks. Anyone got a spare bedroom, with plaenty of space for guns. I MAY need it.

I'm happy and disappointed. I'm not use to service above and beyond. Always had real good luck with shooting them too.

Larry
    Tinkerer