Thread: McMillan and Manners stock Palm Swell?

Basic Member

McMillan and Manners stock Palm Swell?

I am looking at either a McMillan or a Manners stock for a build. The Manners stocks that I am looking at are the EH1 and the T6. The McMillan stocks of interest are the A5, A3, or A2. My issue is the palm swell. I had Manners send me a sample stock of the EH1 and the T6. They will work, but I am wondering if McMillan stocks have less, or more, palm swell? I know that I do not want a stock with any more palm swell than the Manners EH1 or T6. I have small to medium hands with "not so long fingers". I have not seen any of the McMillan stocks, since I live way back in the boonies. So if anyone has had experience with the stocks that I have mentioned, can you please share your thoughts, and possibly some pictures of the grip area of the stocks? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by AROKHUNTER; 01-08-2016 at 12:25 AM.

Basic Member
    This is an A3 Sporter. I'm not 100% but I believe A2, A3 and A5 all share the same downward grip and palm.

INFERNO

Basic Member
    clintsrv---

Thanks a lot for the pics! That helps a lot.

Basic Member
    clintsrv---

Would you say that you have small, medium, large hands? Short or long fingers?

Basic Member
    Large hands I guess kind of short fingers.
    That's funny as I don't describe the size of my hands often.

My next MCM stock will be an A5. I've had many Manners stocks and still own a few now and to me they are not as nice as an MCM.
    I do however like the many styles MCS offers.

I have an MCM Gamescout on a R700 that's has little to no swell from what I remember and it's very similar to the A3 Sporter. I'll get photos tonight to confirm the swell on it.
    INFERNO

Basic Member
    Here the Gamescout. I was unavailable last night. There is a swell (slightly) on the Gamescout. The grip is slightly different in the hand between these 2 that I'm comparing. I like the feel 100% on both and both rifles perform great.

INFERNO

Basic Member
    One more I can contribute if the HTG. It has virtually no swell. Not as much downward grip either but very practical for many purposes.

INFERNO

Basic Member
    clintsrv---

I really appreciate the pics and the info! I have smaller hands than you. My hands are small to medium. So, I am not sure about the palm swell since you say you have large hands and the grips with palm swell fit you well. Hmmm.....,

Basic Member
    Clint,
    How to you like the HTG?
    Good all around hunting stock?
    I know this is off topic, but how do you release the bolt? I don't see a top bolt release, and I don't see the one on the trigger guard either.
    Thanks -Leo

Basic Member
    If I must release the bolt I have to remove to trigger guard and use an Allen wrench to push the lever.
    All of my BBR actions I operate in the manner.
    The HTG is an extrmely nice stock very much suited for many applications. Very versatile.

It's also cheaper than the others
    Last edited by clintsrv; 01-08-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    INFERNO

Basic Member
    Thanks Clint,
    I have a BBR that I put a steel trigger guard on and am putting in a TBR release stock.
    I've been debating about having the reviever milled and converted to TBR sear, or doing exactly what you did.
    I have a Stockade Mule Deer stock on order that looks very similar to your HTG, depending on how it turns out I may try the HTG on the next build.
    Thanks for the info

Basic Member
    I wouldn't mill the receiver at all. The action has a smooth look.
    If you will be installing BBR action in a TBR stock just slightly mill the inside of stock to adapt for the lever.
    Usually top bolt release stock have a narrower triggerguard channel cut which prevents using BBR triggerguards

You can use standard trigger guards with BBR stocks. Bushings may be required to offset and height.
    INFERNO

Basic Member
    Thanks you
    You have been very helpful

Basic Member
    clintsrv---

Would you mind taking a measurement of the grip/palm swell on the HTG, A3, and the Gamescout? I believe that would help a lot.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AROKHUNTER View Post
    clintsrv---

Would you mind taking a measurement of the grip/palm swell on the HTG, A3, and the Gamescout? I believe that would help a lot.
    I will do it. Let me have a little time on it as work is crazy right now.
    INFERNO