Thread: Scope preference for 22 mag?

Turbolung

Scope preference for 22 mag?

What scopes do you fellers use on your 22 mags?

Basic Member
    I have a Simmons 4x32 that I paid next to nothing for. It does just fine for hitting a quarter at 50 yards.

Turbolung
    That's incredible shooting brother..I don't know if I could do that. What kind of scope rings and base do you use? And have you ever had it creep on you?

Basic Member
    It's on a Marlin 25mn with a Simmons 4x32 22 Mag scope. This was shot with cci maximag.

The rings were included. I have zero complaints with it. I bought it probably 7 years ago. I have had no issues with the scope walking or rings coming loose. For the money, it's the best scope I own.

Here's a link to what appears to be the same: http://shop.opticsplanet.com/simmons...idihoCh2jw_wcB
    Last edited by pwrdbytrd; 01-05-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Turbolung
    Nice..I have no idea what mine will do yet cause I just got it..but it seemed to group well considering I was using open sights..hoping it shoots as well as yours when I get the scope on it..

Basic Member
    hate to say my 22 mag is not a Savage but got a Bushnell 4-12x40mm on it. getting older and harder to see ((( 3-9 scopes don't cut it for me anymore unless 50 yard or less

Turbolung
    Heard that..I prefer 16 x..but mainly because I enjoy shooting lolly pops and such. Lol I just can't pull that off without a telescope on my rifle.

Basic Member
    with you bro :) smallest scope I have is the 4-12 x 40 on any distance rifle
    my axis .223 has a tasco 6-24 x 42 and my skinny B-mag the same
    HB B-Mag has a Barska 8-32x50
    A17 has a 4-12 x 40
    Savage 110E (30 years old and looks new ) .243 has a 4-16x40
    got a 6-24 x42 for my new Axis 22-250 but not mounted yet, waiting on the walnut Boyd's Classic stock and also to put my new 3-4lb trigger spring in then
    only 3-9x40 scopes I have are on my 10/22 and my 10/22 converted to 17 M2 :)
    at 100 or 200 yards I like to see the center dot on the target in my cross hairs :)

sorry got off topic :)

Turbolung
    Lol don't stop..I'm trying to learn what scopes are good. I use a Leopold an my 270..think its a 12x..but can't afford scopes like that anymore. I have mainly shot am air rifle for a while due to ammo prices and convenience..so I know center points are good..went through 3 before I found one that held up to a springer. I have a learhwood on the way I'm hoping will be good. I'm not hung up on glass for plinking.. But want something with solid turrets so I can play out to 200 yards. The other feller would be able to knock the wings odd a fly with a 16x..did you see his groupings at 50 yards with a 4x? Anyway..I have been a snob with sxopesxope s for a long time but it sounds like..at least for the rimfires..that ya don't have to mortgage a scope lol

Basic Member
    I have a Savage 22 mag that lives in my jeep except during deer/bear season. Ive found with mine the 40 gr bullets shoot better
    than the lighter ones for group. My concern was the preset parralex distance on scopes not designated as rimfire scopes.
    Not a problem if your always consious about it and always use exactly the same place to rest your face on the stock.
    But i chose a varieable 2x7 Redfield Revolution and bought it directly from Leupold. That way i could have the parralex set at 50 yds.
    You can also send them any leupold or new version Redfield scope and they will reset the parralex to any distance you prefer.

Reeseman
    I own 3 22magnums , none are Savages . Two of them have 3-9x40 rifle scopes and my night hunting rig has a fixed 4x Bushnell shot gun scope on it . All are hunting rifles and none of the scopes are set for 50 yard parallax rimfire distances . I have taken countless numbers of game with them at close and long distance with no problem . If you are shooting paper with yours out to 200 yards you will need every bit of 16x to see your hits .

You will find when shooting the mag past 125 yards the bullet drop is considerable at 200 yards . I tried it a couple times with 40 grain CCI holding over and using a spotting scope .
    Last edited by Reeseman; 01-07-2016 at 06:54 PM.

Turbolung
    I figured it would drop at that distance so I went with 16..good advice as well Sir. I shoppes around for something with reliable turrets for that exact reason. So..seems like a lot of people use the BSA and barska brands..that's good to know. Like I said..Leopold is out for me financially for a while. Do you fellers find the turrets reliable on your scopes? do they return to zero consistently and track? Also. I wanna make sure my scope is mounted perfectly so I don't lose out because of cant. I have read a lot of articles on mounting and have mounted enough to be proficient. What method do you use for leveling reticles? I'd really appreciate if you would share your experience on that.

Basic Member
    I put a bipod on the gun and sit it on the kitchen table. Then i look out thru the open door and line the reticle up with the corner of my garage.
    If your really fussy about hitting things a long ways off with your 22 mag, it might pay to check the table for level and the garage for plumb.

Basic Member
    Lol