Thread: Help - Need the part numbers for a Model 16 - WSM firing pin assembly

Basic Member

Help - Need the part numbers for a Model 16 - WSM firing pin assembly

Hello, I have a Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior bolt that has started piercing primers. The bolt face and firing pin look to be worn from the gas blowing back through the hole in the primer.

I can purchase the bolt head from MidwayUSA, but I am not sure where to get the firing pin assembly or which firing pin assembly goes in a 4.40" Gen 3 short action with standing ejector.

I have purchased a short action firing pin assembly, but it will not work with this bolt / bolt head configuration.

Where do I get the right firing pin assembly? What is the correct part number?

Thanks,

Doug

It should be "Firing Pin, Short Heavy Mag, 105758" $5.00
    That's the firing pin that has the adjustable protrusion.
    Call Savage Customer Service.

ETA: If yours has a standing ejector, it should be a 4.275" stagger feed with Controlled Round Feeding, not a 4.4" centerfeed action with push feed.
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 01-04-2016 at 10:02 PM.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    "Standing ejector" would only apply to 2nd generation actions. The correct term for that part is "V-spring ejector." The same firing pin is used for the CRF as the other short action calibers.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Hmm, well this is a Model 16 FCSS Weather Warrior Controlled Round Feed on a 4.40 inch action with V-Spring ejector then. I have two of them, Fred timed and trued both, installed a bolt lift kit, and new special firing pin spring.

I do have a spare firing pin assembly, it must be from a 4.275 action or 243/260/7-08/308 because it does not work.

So are all short action firing pin assemblies are the same?

Oh the firing pin stop nut washer is broken also, I will need a new one of those too.

One of the other sites that sells firing pin assemblies shows the WSM firing pin assembly as having a different part number than the 243/260/7-08/308 firing pin assembly.

I would be happy to purchase an entire bolt assembly.

Doug

Last edited by dwm; 01-04-2016 at 11:43 PM.

I still stand behind my first post.

Look at the Savage Parts Finder, use Serial number G134196, a 10FP in 300WSM, stagger feed, with CRF. Part 11G gives the same part number I listed.
    Now put your own serial number in there.......
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

This will help you determine exactly what you have based on your bolt head. Just measure the lug thickness (front to back) and compare to measurements and descriptions given in the following link.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Configurations
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thank you so much, so mine is serial number: G428512, Model 16 WW, CRF, centerfeed 4.40 inch action.

As you and Mr Furious have stated they do have the same firing pin part number: Firing Pin, Short Heavy Mag, 105758" $5.00.

I would like to purchase the whole whole bolt, I like to have spare parts.

Will Savage sell me a firing pin, entire firing pin assembly, or even a whole bolt assembly?

I suppose the timing and truing work will need to be redone as the bolt head has to be replaced.

Doug

They will sell you anything but a barrel or an action, with a release form that they'll email to you and you fax it back to them. There is a separate part number for the entire firing pin assembly, Part 11 - FIRING PIN ASSY SHORT HEAVY MAG - P/N: 105770 $21.00
    Last edited by Hotolds442; 04-16-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Basic Member
    I read on a different thread that there is a PTG short action magnum bolthead. Would it work in this action? Which firing pin would it require, same one, WSM firing pin?

My 6.5WSM on Model 16 WW CRF centerfeed 4.40 inch action, with detachable mag, love this gun!

Nice looking rifle. I believe the PTG uses the shorter firing pin, but I haven't tried. When I built my 6.5WSM, I started with a LH 308 action, and went through the trials and tribulations of all the different parts combinations. Everything is written down so it's easy to recite what's needed. Personally, there's no benefit to the PTG, but it'll make your wallet feel lighter in your pocket.

Basic Member
    The standard short action firing pin is used with the standard short action 7/16" bolt head, and the magnum CRF 1/2" bolt head. The longer firing pin is used with the "heavy magnum" bolt head which is 9/16". The heavy magnum bolt head is usually accompanied with the shorter front baffle, to increase the bolt travel. Changing out the bolt head will not affect the timing.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."