Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I Start Load Development At Min or Optimun (Near Max)

Basic Member

No FreqRideR. I think I'm on the right track now. Between the brass and a different lot# of powder things didn't go well. I now know that the powder is hotter(2.6%) and the brass was used to hard. I've started working with it again and am taking it slow and easy. New brass and lighter charges! If I make it to 2950 I'll be happy.
    I have loads made up for it now. I'll take it to the range this week and see how it goes. Shot 50 rounds through it the other day with a mild load just to form the brass and things went well.
    Robinhood I think you were on to something. Like I said new lot of powder and over worked brass. My loads will not be near max this time. I'll do a ladder test with moderate loads and call it good.

Basic Member
    Well I guess I need to update this thread.

To start with , thanks to all that responded to this thread.

I have been working with this rifle , on and off , for about 4 months now and the mystery , I think , has been solved.

Head space was not correct! Operator Error!

Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    Well after all the work on the rifle and starting over with load development I'm still having huge issues. At below max loads(3 grs. Below book max) things go bad! At 56.5 popped a primer, heavy bolt lift. Fired another round, popped a primer and blew the extractor!
    Now I wondering if the action and the bolt are bad! Timing is the worst of all of the savage rifles I have. This is a used rifle built sometime after 1975 but probably not much.Thinking right now of pulling the barrel off and just cutting the action up! How would I know if it is bad? At this point I'd be afraid to sell it.
    Another question is, how much clearance should there be from the front of the bolt lugs to the face of the barrel? Also, can the bolt face be cut to deep into the bolt head?
    I believe I would cut my loses and junk it. Sounds like you don't have much in it. Spending a bunch of money on a gunsmith is just throwing good money after bad. You certainly don't want to get hurt.

Basic Member
    m12lrs , sorry for the confusion.

Basically I'm saying , and I'm being humble here, problem solved! Operator error!

Basic Member
    I always start low and work to hot. Ladder load not group shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12