Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzlebrake

Muzzlebrake

Hi... I'm new to the site, Happy New Year to all...

Just purchased a 10 FCP-SR with the 24" barrel. Having had shoulder surgery a year ago and I am looking to take as much recoil out of the rifle as possible. I am looking for recommendations on the best combination of recoil reduction without extreme side blast and report volume increase. I know this is give and take situation. I have read good things about the Griffin Armament Tactical Compensator, is there a "better" option...?

S/F

Tim

Savageham
    Tim,

I have had amazing recoil reduction with the American Precision Arms Fat ******* Break on my .300WM 110 FCP HS PRECISION. Side blast is a little crazy but not a noticeable volume increase. takes recoil down to where I can watch rounds hit paper.

V/R
    Ryan

Savageham
    Fat bastrd

I have the basic DPMS Miculek brake on a FCP-SR (20").

For $50 or so, it was a slam dunk.

Recoil is a non-issue.

Noise and blast is impressive... I shoot from covered positions and wear plugs and amplified low-profile muffs to mitigate the noise, and it's OK. Muffs or plugs alone is too loud. The blast to the sides literally blasts stuff (boxes of ammo, etc.) off the bench. Nobody wants to be around when I'm shooting...

What are the muzzle thread dimensions 10 FCP-SR...?

bigcheese920
    JP enterprises recoil eliminator. Great brake for reducing recoil but it is deafening. If you're wearing ear plugs it's fine but if it's for hunting I probably wouldn't recommend it.

bigcheese920
    I think it's 5/8-24 tpi.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcheese920 View Post
    I think it's 5/8-24 tpi.

Yep, standard .30 cal... Just about all "AR10" brakes will fit.

10/4 Thank You...

Still looking for recommendations on the muzzle brake. We have used VIAS brakes on deer rifles with excellent success, BUT they have bottom ports which doesn't work well on a rifle that will be being shot from the prone position...

Both Nathan & Ross (separate sellers found at same website) produce very nice & effective muzzle brakes. They are angled back slightly but, in all honesty, I couldn't tell you they are any louder than the other brakes I have (Vais, Harrell's). One or both will also install on your barrel at a very reasonable price. Ross was running a sale, might still be...

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...-sale.3888823/

www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com

-Rick

Edit- looks like Nathan removed Ross' contact info from his website.
    Unbiased AR15, Barnard, BAT, Borden, Browning, Kelbly, Marsh, Nesika Bay, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Ultralight Arms owner. I like 'em all.

Kadams1563
    rem40xb1@msn.com

That's Ross' contact for information. I will be sending him a barrel next week or so.

Anyone know which brake is used on the 10-B.A. ?

Want a suggestion on another or even an additional solution? As much as I love a good brake...
    Try a dead mule recoil reducer. They work. I also like the Beartooth slip on recoil pads with the different inserts. I used to get the limbsavers but after owning them for several years my Limbsavers have gone soft and started melting leaving goo in my safe in my cases and on whatever they touch. My beartooth slip ons with the neoprene sleeve have held up very well
    http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/recoil-parts/recoil-reducers/100-straight-dead-mule-recoil-reducer-prod6809.aspx

http://www.beartooth-products.com/re...kit-brown.html

Last edited by big honkin jeep; 01-02-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Burdy
    Why not a suppressor? I have the Dead Air Armament Sandman on my LRP.308 and it does an outstanding job of reducing recoil and obviously noise. Brakes are loud and it's much more enjoyable to shoot without ear pro and hunt without damaging your ears.

Basic Member
    Here is a really good comparison of a bunch of the more popular muzzle brakes on the market. He shows the recoil reduction and sound levels for each.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...-test-results/

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I have the basic DPMS Miculek brake on a FCecoil is a non-issue.
    P-SR (20").

For $50 or so, it was a slam dunk.

R

Noise and blast is impressive... I shoot from covered positions and wear plugs and amplified low-profile muffs to mitigate the noise, and it's OK. Muffs or plugs alone is too loud. The blast to the sides literally blasts stuff (boxes of ammo, etc.) off the bench. Nobody wants to be around when I'm shooting...

I run a knock-off of this break I got off amazon for $18. No muzzle rise whatsoever on my 7mm wsm.

I have the muzzle breaks and more four port brakes on two of my 300 win mags. They work great but are loud. A suppressor is what you're looking for. They are much more fun anyhow.

Basic Member
    I run JEC. Ross is my second option

Basic Member
    Another vote for Ross and Nathan, I have both. I'm going to give Nathan's new brake a try that I can time myself.

Thanks guys for all the responses, I really appreciate it...!!!

A by product of shoulder surgery on my recoil shoulder along with elbow surgery and a broken wrist on the opposite arm is concern for additional weight. I know the 10 FCP-SR is not a petite rifle but I am forced to be weight conscious. I have not traveled down the suppressor road yet, but again weight to an already heavy rifle.

Thanx Vas Shooter for the link, been looking for an article like that... I will read it next

While recoil reduction is my primary concern, I want the device to be as shooter friendly as possible... I read somewhere (can't remember where now) that the brake on the 10 BA was both effective and user friendly...?

S/F

Tim

Burdy
    Cut that 24" barrel down to a proper 18" and add a Titanium Suppressor. You will save weight, reduce recoil, save your ears and have a hell of a lot more fun.

+1 on the TI suppressor route. you only be sorry about the wait time, then it'll all be ok when you touch off that first suppressed round. If you can't do a suppressor, grab one of Ross' brakes. they are affordable and effective. I use one on my 243 striker pistol and the gun barely moves on the bags. Any good brake will be loud because it is redirecting more gas backward. that's why the best brakes look like they belong on the end of a howitzer barrel.

Basic Member
    I used T3 Terminator brakes on both my 110 .300wm and .338 Lapua. Expensive, but effective. Furthermore, you can get them cerakoted black and already turned down to match the diameter of the 110 FCP barrel (~.850"). Looks really nice.

Effectiveness testing: here.

I'm now using Kirby Allen's Large 5-port Painkiller brake... Can't comment on it's effectiveness yet, but I can't imagine there will be much recoil left on my Lapua. Again, expensive for what they are, but I have no doubts that it will be worth every penny when you shoot them.

Realize they brake effectiveness is going to be directly correlated to the amount of gases exiting the muzzle, and the velocity at which they are exiting (a brake on a .300wm will be a lot more effective than a brake on a .243).
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    I would go with a .243 or 6.5cm/260 rem and forget about those abnoxious noisemakers muzzle brakes.

Team Savage
    Harrell's, can't beat the price and great guys. Takes the bite out of my 308 Hoghunter and it is not indexed. Don't believe you can reduce recoil and not have blast and noise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast