Thread: 14 American Classic?

Olympus

14 American Classic?

I don't see these guns mentioned much. Is there a reason for that? I have a chance to buy one new in box in 243 for $650. I don't see these guns for sale anywhere so I don't know if that's a good deal or not. I thought I read somewhere that the 14 American Classic had been discontinued several years ago. Is there any truth to that?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I don't see these guns mentioned much. Is there a reason for that? I have a chance to buy one new in box in 243 for $650. I don't see these guns for sale anywhere so I don't know if that's a good deal or not. I thought I read somewhere that the 14 American Classic had been discontinued several years ago. Is there any truth to that?
    It doesn't appear so,
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...MERICANCLASSIC

Olympus
    Does anyone know anything about this model? It doesn't seem to be discussed a lot on any forums.

Team Savage
    I've handled one and for that price, I don't think you can go wrong. You will like it. They are meant to be heritage firearms, and I think they fill that role very well.

I love the Savage classics. I have one now but have a couple more on my wish list starting with a 22-250. I think the reason they are not brought up here alot is this is a site geared towards building and tinkering with Savages. With the classics you slap a scope on them and there done.

Olympus
    I would like the option to eventually rebarrel in 250 Savage or 250AI. Would that still be possible?

I agree with 03mossy. The 14 and the long action 114 are a beautiful classic right out of the box. They are a model 10 or 110 with a deluxe stock, and have the same barrel nut arrangement. Very nice gun. I was very lucky to find a used 114 stock to put on my 116. You will not be disappointed.

I have two and they are awesome shooters and pretty to look at. Even the Savage haters admit a liking for the American Classic series. I am fortunate enough to own one in 250 Savage and another in 300 Savage. They will always have a spot in my gun rack. Buy that .243!

Olympus
    That's definitely good to hear. I want to use it for a whitetail rifle, but I hope it's not too pretty to be used.

Basic Member
    JMHO, snap that Classic up, but don't tear it apart for a build! Look at it as a collector rifle, it will hold it's value much better. Pick up a bargain rifle to build off of. Again-JMHO :-)

Olympus
    I just wish I could find one in 250. But I may go ahead and buy it.

Patience or re-barrel. The auction sites will have a few each year up for auction. They usually go close to $700. I would by the .243 to keep you happy until you come across a .250

Olympus
    That's probably what I'm going to do. Supposed to meet a guy this afternoon to sell another rifle, so that will help me pay for this one.

Oh man there is a pretty one in 250 Savage on Gun Broker right now. Not mine. Got no stake in it. Gonna make someone a nice addition to their Savage collection. If I didn't already have one I would be all over that one!

Basic Member
    I Love the Savage Classics! I think they are some of the best built Savages ever made. I don't think you can go wrong! My classic family:

Olympus
    You've got some nice wood there.

Very nice collection. Can't beat that classic look.

i always like nice wood and blued metal. i know it dont make the rifle shoot better but i really like it over the plastic

14 American Classic?

Rifles like the Classic have been marginalized largely due to the market being saturated with $300-ish black plastic stocked guns. Not that there's anything wrong with them, they certainly have their place, but having so many rifles available at lower price points kinda stops a lot of people from ever moving up. Coupled with the fact that we now have a generation or maybe two who's first gun was black and plastic, they see nothing nostalgic about wood and blued steel. Their idea of an upgrade would be a fiberglass stocked, stainless rifle. Again, not that that's wrong or anything, and I own my share of all of the above. But to me a classic hunting rifle will always include wood. The American Classic is probably the only factory Savage model that is beautiful aesthetically as well as functionally.

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    Rifles like the Classic have been marginalized largely due to the market being saturated with $300-ish black plastic stocked guns. Not that there's anything wrong with them, they certainly have their place, but having so many rifles available at lower price points kinda stops a lot of people from ever moving up. Coupled with the fact that we now have a generation or maybe two who's first gun was black and plastic, they see nothing nostalgic about wood and blued steel. Their idea of an upgrade would be a fiberglass stocked, stainless rifle. Again, not that that's wrong or anything, and I own my share of all of the above. But to me a classic hunting rifle will always include wood. The American Classic is probably the only factory Savage model that is beautiful aesthetically as well as functionally.
    This is exactly what my thought process was in purchasing the American Classic. It only costed me $640.

^ You did good!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    You've got some nice wood there.
    Where have I heard that before?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

When I was looking for my 114 American Classic in stainless about a year ago, I had a tough time finding one. What I gathered was they were discontinued. I lucked out when I went into one of the local gun shops, and sure enough they had one in 30-06, just what i was looking for. I picked it up for around $670 i believe.

I haven't got to shoot it other than sighting in, but the little bit I've shot it, i love it. Unfortunately it didn't get its first kill in rifle season last year,but that was not the rifles fault that no deer showed up.

Im going on an elk hunt next November, so I will be doing a lot of shooting between now and then.