Thread: Need Scope/Ring/Mount Advice for 300 Win Mag

Basic Member

Need Scope/Ring/Mount Advice for 300 Win Mag

I just built a 300 Win Mag on a Stevens 200 Action, 24" factory sporter barrel and a B&C sporter stock. Overall the package without scope weighs in at slightly over 7 lbs. I want to put a mount, rings and scope that keep it fairly lightweight and handy. I was thinking about a 2-7X, 3-9X or 4-14x scope. I also don't want to spend a fortune on glass but do want something clear and reliable. So far I am into this rifle about $500.

The rifle will be used mostly for deer, hog, elk and other game inside 500 yards. Most shots will be far shorter.

I would like your recommendations on a mount, rings and scope that won't add a tremendous amount of weight or take away from its handiness. Lets put my budget for the scope mount and rings at about $500.

Thank You.

$500 for a QUALITY scope and mounts is well more than enough.
    I've been stupid happy with my Primary Arms 4-14 FFP Mil/Mil. But that isn't exactly what you are looking at, so check out on of their other scopes, or reticles.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    $500 for a QUALITY scope and mounts is well more than enough.
    I've been stupid happy with my Primary Arms 4-14 FFP Mil/Mil. But that isn't exactly what you are looking at, so check out on of their other scopes, or reticles.
    I am a big fan of the PA scopes. I have several of their red dots and a 1-4x on my AR. I wasn't sure about trusting one on a hunting gun though. I'd hate to have it fail during a hunt. Right now I am leaning towards a Leupold VX-2 in a 3-9 or 4-14. Still time to be convinced otherwise though.

Edit - The internet is scary. When I posted this, an ad from OpticsPlanet for a Leupold 3-9x40 pops up.

I put a Redfield Revolution with Accu-range reticle on my deer slayer. Good glass for the money and backed by Leupold. Low to mid $200 so not the most expensive scope out there but worked well in the field for me. Has good eye relief for the heavy hitters. I believe its offered in all the configurations your looking at. The only thing I dont care for is the rough looking matte finish but its holding up just great.

I know they are different applications, but here is my experience.

That scope shot a few hundred rounds of 308, then came to live on my Creedmoor. Currently on that rifle has fired somewhere between 1,000 - 1,500 rounds. It was strapped into a 4-wheeler carrier on the front rack, JUST before that 4-wheeler and rider had a dissagreement. It tumbled "endo" fashion down a hill around a hundred yards. And has now ridden on the floorboards for a trip to AZ and back, twice.
    Never had an ounce of trouble with it.

Living this same lifestyle, I've used Leupy's warranty on several 3-9's by now; but not had to on the PA.

Do what makes you happy.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Hard to go wrong with Leupold or Burris standard bases and rings and a decent Leupold or Burris in 3-9x40. I have been really impressed with the Burris E1s. In my opinion they are the best bang for the buck out there and I after trying one I picked up when they first came out and running it through its paces, I have added several more over the last couple of years.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I also got an Redfield Revolution with the Accurange reticle. The glass seems nice, but the reticle is kind of a wash for me over a duplex. Partly this is because my load does not correspond to the reticle-compatible loads, and partly I'm always a bit skeptical of BDC reticles' ballistic fidelity. However, there are a few flavors of .300 Win Mag that appear on the list, so it could be a better choice for your rifle.

I had also assumed it was Redfield's rangefinding reticle, which I wanted to play around with. Sadly, that is only available on the Revenge line. Still, I think I can math it out to make it function in roughly the same way with the zoom ring.

Like darkker, I am partial to the PA FFP line of scopes. They are a bit big for a svelte hunting rig. The ACSS Orion version is a bit more compact across the turrets, but the BDC reticle still comes with the same caveats that any such reticle would.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am still on the fence. Keep the suggestions coming.

Buy a used Sightron Big Sky like the one on ARF.com right now, Weaver base, Warn QD rings
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.