Thread: Win 748 for Hornady 40 Gn VMax Data?

Win 748 for Hornady 40 Gn VMax Data?

Hi Everybody-

I walked into a local gunshop and was perusing their .224 bullet selection. A box of 100 40Gn VMax caught my eye. I've got loads for 55Gn. VMax and Hornady SP, 50Gn VMax and ZMax (ZMax, from what I hear, is a green tipped VMax). All shoot VERY well using Win 748 propellant.

I understand that lots of the reloading manuals dropped 748 loads off of their lighter bullet selections due to it being a slow burning powder. (I can find peoples "pet" loads on the internet, but, no offense to anyone, I'd like to know the safe start and max loads according to a bona fide reloader's manual)

I LIKE WIN 748! I have Varget and H335, and slightly less than 1 lb of 8208 XBR. Still...I'd like to try Win 748. Plus I have a goodly amount of 748.

Would anyone share start and max loads they may have in an older manual for 40Gn. VMax (or similar) using Win 748? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

222 Remington, 223 Remington, 22/250, 220 Swift, 225 Winchester? Telling us what chambering you're seeking loads for might help.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

In what caliber?

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

IF you are talking the 223, the benches load for forever was 26.6gr with the 55's.
    748 only disappeared from Hodgy because of a contract squabble with Olin.
    Buy the Sierra manual.

...oh, and what happens when you take the parent powder of H335, and add copper fouling reducers?? Win 748.
    Don't think that CFE is either new, or unique.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    In what caliber?

Dean
    &@Hotolds442:

WELL AINT I EMBARRASSED! Sometimes the obvious escapes me.

.223 Rem.

Slinking away....Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    IF you are talking the 223, the benches load for forever was 26.6gr with the 55's.
    748 only disappeared from Hodgy because of a contract squabble with Olin.
    Buy the Sierra manual.

...oh, and what happens when you take the parent powder of H335, and add copper fouling reducers?? Win 748.
    Don't think that CFE is either new, or unique.
    I have the Speer manual and the one book one caliber for .223 Rem. Speer is (seems to be) 1 full grain more than other's listed for just about every powder. So I don't go by that much.

You know- just about the time I think I'm starting to get a grip on who's who; I thought Hodgdon was the parent company, or at least affiliated with Winchester powders.

Anyway...thanks! I'm trying to figure out if the Nosler BT in 40Gn is close to Hornady's VMax, same weight? They have a listing for 748...

Brian

Stuff as much W748 as you can in that case, that's your recipe.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    The .223 and WW 748 have long had a tight relationship (as in tight groups). It is one of the very best power choices for the .223 for both speed and accuracy.

AMEN! I have terrific loads for 50 and 55Gn pills...working on getting for the 40 Gn now...

I'd recently tried 8208 XBR which produced great results too...but I dunno if it's cos' I started with 748, but I just love it: but it meters well and heck, I've got a three shot group w/50Gn. VMax that measured .0650"!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Stuff as much W748 as you can in that case, that's your recipe.

Dean
    ER....Should I use a ramrod or a long drop tube? I know; I've heard "you can't get enough 748 in a 223 case to do damage" but thats just not me. Call me chicken but I want to know the min and max charges..

Brian

Silvercrow,
    Hodgdon does not, and never has made an ounce of smokeless powder. They are a blender/reseller only.
    Olin, which owns the brand name Winchester, sold their powder production plant a long time ago when trying to avoid going broke. Those powders are made in the same facility, owned by defense contacting giant, General Dynamics. We the reloader, are the waste market for powder.

The newest Speer manual is quite old, and I believe wasn't with current methods. In any case a grain here or there in manuals means little, that speaks to the normal lot variances. There is a good reason why everyone tells you "Drop 10% when switching lots". What the important part is, is the velocity. THAT is what keeps you within Pressure limits.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post
    AMEN! I have terrific loads for 50 and 55Gn pills...working on getting for the 40 Gn now...

I'd recently tried 8208 XBR which produced great results too...but I dunno if it's cos' I started with 748, but I just love it: but it meters well and heck, I've got a three shot group w/50Gn. VMax that measured .0650"!

Brian
    Is 748 a good choice for heavier .224 bullets [69gr, 75 gr]? 223 REM

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Silvercrow,
    Hodgdon does not, and never has made an ounce of smokeless powder. They are a blender/reseller only.
    Olin, which owns the brand name Winchester, sold their powder production plant a long time ago when trying to avoid going broke. Those powders are made in the same facility, owned by defense contacting giant, General Dynamics. We the reloader, are the waste market for powder.

The newest Speer manual is quite old, and I believe wasn't with current methods. In any case a grain here or there in manuals means little, that speaks to the normal lot variances. There is a good reason why everyone tells you "Drop 10% when switching lots". What the important part is, is the velocity. THAT is what keeps you within Pressure limits.
    Yeah...that Speer manual is what came with my RCBS stuff. I use the "One Book one Caliber" most, and I used the Hodgdon reloading data site for the 8208 XBR I developed recently.

Thanks for the info- I am a new reloader (3 years now) and have a long way to go.

SO...I think I understand the velocity / pressure relationship. And logic seems to tell me that it takes more pressure to move a 55GN. bullet at 3300 FPS (random number) than it would take to move a 40GN bullet the same speed, correct? I don't have a chronograph. But other factors would come into play too; seating depth / neck tension, bullet gilding material, shape, etc.?

SOOO much to learn...

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by mikgarus View Post
    Is 748 a good choice for heavier .224 bullets [69gr, 75 gr]? 223 REM
    I'd have to leave that up to the more experienced reloaders and folks that have a faster twist rate barrel than I do. I have a 1:14 twist and 55GN seems to be the max I can stabilize at that twist rate. In any case, I've never shot factory or reloaded for anything heavier that 55GN. Sorry I can't be of help on this one...

Brian