Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desert Trip - 1375yds with the 243 Win

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well as weve seen with the op's thread, it is entirly possible (given the conditions to do it),
    and of coarse a good shooter.
    Otherwise it becomes an effort in futility, even with a good shooter and the big boomers.
    The difference is that with the larger bullet and a (good spotter using good optics), you are apt to see more of the hits.
    Hunting is yet a different subject than shooting other than shooting is ultimatly involved.
    You cant hit what you havent found, and thats the #1 obsticle to overcome. The farther it is the harder it is even with excellant optics.
    Especially with poor weather conditions. And too much of a good thing like snow is even worse than having none
    as for seeing hits.
    The edge is an impressive cartridge. I have a friend owning one on a trued 700 action and chambered by Mark King.
    He uses 250 gr smks because he wants the better velocity. I personaly believe the edge is the better choice over the Lapua
    with the standard size magnum actions.
    That's exactly why I built it. I could build it on a regular magnum action. Much cheaper than a Lapua in that respect. So far all I've shot is the 300 Hybrid. I've got some 250s, but doubt I'll even shoot them. I do have some 285 Hornady's I want to try at some point. Seems a lot of guys really like them.

fantastic shooting!
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Gotta love them 105s!! Very impressive all the way around!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    That's exactly why I built it. I could build it on a regular magnum action. Much cheaper than a Lapua in that respect. So far all I've shot is the 300 Hybrid. I've got some 250s, but doubt I'll even shoot them. I do have some 285 Hornady's I want to try at some point. Seems a lot of guys really like them.
    The 285s and the 300 Bergers land in the same place at 1500 yds from my sons 338x378 with the same powder charge.
    We dont shoot in places where targets can be used and groups measured. The accuracy factor seems to be very similar however.

Basic Member
    The 285s and the 300 Bergers land in the same place at 1500 yds from my sons 338x378 with the same powder charge.
    We dont shoot in places where targets can be used and groups measured. The accuracy factor seems to be very similar however.
    Sounds like the spot where BC and velocity meet between the two bullets.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Sounds like the spot where BC and velocity meet between the two bullets.
    Well i suppose you could say that. Im interpiting you to be saying the lighter bullet having slightly more velocity
    overcomes the initial BC advantage of the Berger? While that might be true, its unusual to have 2 different bullets
    print at almost exactly the same place at both 100 and 1500 yds fired from the same gun. And it (should at least)
    indicate you cant always make enlightened decisions based on what others might say. Especially from the comfort
    of ones living room lol.

Basic Member
    I've put a number of bullets through 308 and 243 barrels. As long as they're generally the same weight class they are very near in their zeros.

I think it has to do with quality barrel work.

Basic Member
    Well ive never shot 308s and 243s at those type distances.
    And i dont anticipate doing it, so ill take your word on that.

Any chance you picked up that A max? Would be interesting to see it.
    "Knowledge can be taught... Wisdom can only be learned."

Basic Member
    I looked for it, but couldn't find any pieces at all. From the impact it looks like it had full fragmentation.

Had more stuff left than I expected. Cool
    "Knowledge can be taught... Wisdom can only be learned."

Basic Member
    For the guys talking about the 300gr vs. 285gr .338 bullets... The recommended charge weight ranges are the same.

One barrel or twist might shoot one bullet better, but the difference in weight is negligible at most. I've shot 1-hole 4 shot groups with (2) 300gr SMKs and (2) 285gr BTHPs without touching my scope.

As for the .243, this is awesome stuff LW!
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    For the guys talking about the 300gr vs. 285gr .338 bullets... The recommended charge weight ranges are the same.

One barrel or twist might shoot one bullet better, but the difference in weight is negligible at most. I've shot 1-hole 4 shot groups with (2) 300gr SMKs and (2) 285gr BTHPs without touching my scope.

We dont shoot many 1 hole groups, especially with 338s. But i guess my point is/was it's surprising to see how both bullets
    stacked up at both 100 and 1500 yds. As for load data, were using 108 gr H 570 in that gun. Any load data available showing (H) 570 ?

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post

Good to know. I posted threads in a couple forums (including here) asking this but no one has every replied. I've got an edge I was shooting 300 hybrids with, and need to load up some 285s. Guess I'll start a little under the same load I shot with the 300s and see what happens.

Basic Member
    We dont shoot many 1 hole groups, especially with 338s. But i guess my point is/was it's surprising to see how both bullets
    stacked up at both 100 and 1500 yds. As for load data, were using 108 gr H 570 in that gun. Any load data available showing (H) 570 ?
    I have no experience with H570. Only powders I've used in the Lapua are RL-33 (my preferred), H-1000, and Retumbo. RL-33 slings both the 285s & 300s faster than either of the other two, and it's given me the best accuracy/consistency as well. I have a feeling the one hole group had more to do with luck than anything, but the fact remains... Charge ranges should be very similar between the two bullet weights (I'm talking <1.0 gr.), if not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Good to know. I posted threads in a couple forums (including here) asking this but no one has every replied. I've got an edge I was shooting 300 hybrids with, and need to load up some 285s. Guess I'll start a little under the same load I shot with the 300s and see what happens.
    Yeah, just start the same way you would with the 300 gr load data and work up from there. Obviously, keep an eye on your velocities and look for pressure signs, but otherwise it should be very similar.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

swamphonkey
    Wow. That's impressive! Very nice shooting and that A Max really popped a wallop for that far also. Here I am happy shooting pigs at 400 with my 243 and y'all are sending them on target over 1,300. Makes me feel better knowing we still got guys like you on our team.

Basic Member
    Mind you it took me 10-15 to get on that target. I'm going to try to get out there one more time before I head back east. Thanks for checking this thread out. It was a good time out in the desert!

GrumpyGuns
    Cant wait till we move back out west so I can do some desert shooting of my own. Nice shooting

Basic Member
    UGH. Would kill for a yard like that. Planning a trip to NM soon to visit my pops, where a 1000 yd shoot looks like 100 in VA. Jealous.
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Front Royalty View Post
    UGH. Would kill for a yard like that. Planning a trip to NM soon to visit my pops, where a 1000 yd shoot looks like 100 in VA. Jealous.
    I'll be flipping sides soon over to NC, so I'll be trying to find some distance for regular practice. However I did settle on a couple of acres, so I can at least work my short game/load dev in the back yard now! I'll be out there this summer.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I'll be flipping sides soon over to NC, so I'll be trying to find some distance for regular practice. However I did settle on a couple of acres, so I can at least work my short game/load dev in the back yard now! I'll be out there this summer.
    Very nice. I reside on 200 acres and cant shoot anything over .22 due to terms and conditions with my girlfriends dad, aka the landlord. Theres a dog and cat kennel on the property, amongst other livestock, so it could easily spook some of the animals. I keep trying to tell them that Dan Newberry just lets us shoot over his cows, but they didn't laugh. At all.
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

Basic Member
    Funny, sounds like you need to submit for a trust and get yourself a can. Something I'm probably going to work on my first weekend in NC lol.

Basic Member
    Just what I need, more toys to dump money into! Sigh

Basic Member
    It's never ending! I want to get one for rifle and rimfire, so I can be a more polite neighbor lol.

Just FYI... The NFA game is addictive. Extremely so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast