Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desert Trip - 1375yds with the 243 Win

Basic Member

Desert Trip - 1375yds with the 243 Win

It took 10-15 rounds to get on target, but this is what a 105AMAX will do to a beer keg at 1375yds. I was holding about 2 1/2 Mils for wind. This keg is about torso size for reference.

Sun was in our faces this was our attempt at an estimated 1650yds, but we couldn't pick up the impacts with the targets in the shade later in the day.

This was our initial set up before we went up the hill behind us. Closest target rack was at 700yds.

I was running my 243Win with 105AMAXs while the green rifle in the center was a 300WM with 208AMAXs and the closest one in the picture is a 7RM with 180 Berger Hybrids

I was trying to determine my cold bore for the 700yds rack. I was holding on a 10" plate, but ended up hitting a 1 gallon jug hanging next to it about .5mils to the left.

It was a long day and we worked some short range drills with pistols and AR's as well, but we didn't get any pictures of that stuff. I believe I will look into building a Magnum or RUM of some type when I get around to the next Bolt Action build if I have somewhere to stretch it out like this in the future. The little AMAXs from the 243 did impress me quite a bit though. as you can see on the impact above even though it went transonic nearly 200yds before this impact it was still holding true!
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 12-30-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Well done sarge.
    Nice looking toys, too.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

LongRange
    nice shooting LW!! pretty impressive what that little bullet did at 1375!!

Very nice. Man oh man what I'd give to live out there where I could stretch the 338 out as far as I wanted... ugh.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    nice shooting LW!! pretty impressive what that little bullet did at 1375!!
    Considering it only had approximately 250lbs of energy left I was very surprised.

Basic Member
    I definitely was wishing I had a 338 in the safe for sure!

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Considering it only had approximately 250lbs of energy left I was very surprised.
    and also since that keg looked like this dot . at that distance LOL.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    and also since that keg looked like this dot . at that distance LOL.
    Pretty much! We put a yellow 20"x20" piece of cardboard next to it so we could find it. The Vortex Razor was definitely a huge aid on this trip.

The 338 would have had 1445 ft-lbs at 1375yds. lol

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    The 338 would have had 1445 ft-lbs at 1375yds. lol
    And it would have shrugged at the wind as well!

LongRange
    Pretty much! We put a yellow 20"x20" piece of cardboard next to it so we could find it. The Vortex Razor was definitely a huge aid on this trip.
    without a doubt...im glad i talked with you before i bought a scope this last time...love the gen2.

Nice! I am occasionally jealous of people that live in an arid, god-forsaken wasteland. This is one of those times.

Team Savage
    Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks drybean

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Nice! I am occasionally jealous of people that live in an arid, god-forsaken wasteland. This is one of those times.
    It's about all I like about California.

LoneWolf....could you tell us the make/length/twist of your barrel again. Believe you have in the past, but I'm too lazy to search it up.
    Mike

Basic Member
    Mike21 at least your honest.... It a 26" 1 in 8 Twist X-Caliber spun by Jim down at Apache Gun Works.

I'm shooting the 105 AMAX at 3025fps at a COAL of 2.78 with just over 1000rds on the barrel.

Thank you. Take care.

Have you tried anything heavier than the 105?
    Mike

Basic Member
    I played with the 115DTACs in my last barrel which was a 7 Twist, but was set on the 105's with this one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Very nice. Man oh man what I'd give to live out there where I could stretch the 338 out as far as I wanted... ugh.
    Well, depending on the 338, that might not be all that far lol.
    Seriously, i can show you places including my front yard where a mile shot isnt a problem.
    And neither would 2 miles be a problem from my yard. I can show you places that would blow
    your mind as for long range hunting spots with those type distances.
    You know what? Very rarly does anybody hunt those spots and that includes us.
    Most of us just arent that good, including some i know who think they are and built custom 50s to do it with.
    The difference between 1000 yds and a mile is light years different as far as consistant accuracy goes.

You guys baffle and dazzle me with your LR shooting. Very impressed with the .243 impact at that distance.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Inebriated
    Awesome shooting!

I have, for a few years now, been planning on putting together a long range rifle and taking some LR courses with it. Just nowhere around here to shoot at longer distances, and I'm not ready for the $$ commitment anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well, depending on the 338, that might not be all that far lol.
    Seriously, i can show you places including my front yard where a mile shot isnt a problem.
    And neither would 2 miles be a problem from my yard. I can show you places that would blow
    your mind as for long range hunting spots with those type distances.
    You know what? Very rarly does anybody hunt those spots and that includes us.
    Most of us just arent that good, including some i know who think they are and built custom 50s to do it with.
    The difference between 1000 yds and a mile is light years different as far as consistant accuracy goes.
    Oh I agree, wholeheartedly. I build this 338 Edge to get me out past a mile. I've been to 1570 with my 6.5 Creedmoor, and wanted to build something in hopes of getting to at least a mile, preferably 1.5mi. I've hardly shot the gun since building it, and still need to work on some load development. Hopefully one day I'll get it dialed in and find somewhere to really stretch it out.

Basic Member
    Well as weve seen with the op's thread, it is entirly possible (given the conditions to do it),
    and of coarse a good shooter.
    Otherwise it becomes an effort in futility, even with a good shooter and the big boomers.
    The difference is that with the larger bullet and a (good spotter using good optics), you are apt to see more of the hits.
    Hunting is yet a different subject than shooting other than shooting is ultimatly involved.
    You cant hit what you havent found, and thats the #1 obsticle to overcome. The farther it is the harder it is even with excellant optics.
    Especially with poor weather conditions. And too much of a good thing like snow is even worse than having none
    as for seeing hits.
    The edge is an impressive cartridge. I have a friend owning one on a trued 700 action and chambered by Mark King.
    He uses 250 gr smks because he wants the better velocity. I personaly believe the edge is the better choice over the Lapua
    with the standard size magnum actions.

Basic Member
    Thats alcohol abuse... hahaha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast