Thread: ???Stevens 325A Front site replacement????

???Stevens 325A Front site replacement????

Hello, I recently picked up a Stevens 325A/.30-30. When I brought it to the range, I ran various loads through it, and found no matter what load, it shot 18" low! This is with the rear sight set as high as it would go on the step/ramp. after looking at Numrich web site, it seems the Savage 219 site, is a direct replacement.... as well as a few others for a 325A. I have a 219 so I stared and compared the height on each.... Savage 219 = .470" off the barrel to top of site and the Stevens 325A = .580" off the barrel to top of site. I believe the site on the Stevens 325A is not the factory installed site and was swapped out by the previous owner. So my question..... is there a after market site, that is plug and play for the 325A? Preferably with windage adjustment and fiber optic. The rearsite on my 325A is the screw on version with a "Pin" thus there is no adjustment for windage, also, my 55 year old eyes don't lend themselves well to Irons, so fiber optic is desired. I'm open to any other ideas to get this thing to shoot to point of aim, without breaking the bank, perhaps a aftermarket rearsite????? I have looked through Midway and Brownells, and can't find anything that's just right.

Thanks
    CZVZ

Is the front sight blade dovetailed into the ramp itself or actually part of the ramp?

I'm guessing the 325A was not drilled and tapped on the side of the receiver for a factory peep sight like the Savage #175? Would make things a lot easier if it was.
    Savage- "never say never".

No, the site blade is not dovetailed to the ramp.... integral one piece, and therefore no windage adjust on the front and rear. Also my reciever is not drilled and tapped for a side mounted peep. I think I could deal with not having windage adjustment, but I can't deal with it shooting 18" low. Numrich is out of stock on any of the various direct replacements. And what Williams and Marble are offering is a one hole mount, various barrel radiuses, various heights ..... none of which would be plug and play, my barrel has 2 mounting holes @ 6-48 tapped and my barrel radius is .600"

....still hopeful!
    CZVZ

From what I'm seeing on the net is that they had a dovetailed front ramp so maybe it was replaced at some time.

Wondering what it would cost to have the side of the receiver D&T'd for a peep sight, most likely only about $30-$40 and have a 340 or 325 peep sight installed. I know a lot of guys that have a hard time with regular iron sights go the peep sight route as it's almost instant acquisition with a peep.

Thanks Mad Dog, I like the Idea of drilling and tapping for a peep, question though, are 325 and 340 peepsites available and where? I'm kicking around another Idea, fabricate a rear notch blade that is higher than the original, temporarly tack glue to the exhisting rear blade, then after tweeking for windage, epoxy in place. I would still be left with a non fiber front bead, but at least It would shoot to point of aim. I have some experience painting the beads white with a pink dot.... helps in low light conditions for deer hunting.

CZVZ

Keep your eyes on Ebay for a Stevens #175 peep sight. That will fit the 325.

fraserdw
    Hi, your Your front sight sounds like an original. They are one piece, many old timers switched them out for a dovetail version from Lyman combined with Lyman Model 40 peep. Your 325A was not factory D&T for peep. If you go the peep route find a Lyman Model 40 as the Williams 340 will not allow bolt clearance at the lower settings. Model 40 us hard to find but a rewarding peep sight. If you can shoot scope, do that. If you were in Canada I would trade you a 340 as I am desperately seeking a 325 unmolested.

papa vid
    CZVZ.. I recently picked up a 340 with similar issues as your 325... also shot about a foot to the right with the factory irons adjusted all the way out... not sure how the previous owner ever hit anything with the rifle... for the front sight, I purchased a couple of single piece replacements from Numrich, cut the blade off one and cut a dovetail in it... the sights are tall enough there is plenty of metal for the dovetail... was thinking of getting a flat top partridge front sight from Skinners, but since I had the hacksaw and files out... made a dovetailed front blade... a couple hours work and some cold blue and I have an adjustable front sight...

as as for the rear peep, Williams makes a peep for the 340... I went the hard way and made a side mount for the Skinners Low-pro... based on what Fraser says above, I'm glad I didn't go with the Williams...

now have enough adjustment to get the rifle to shoot to point of aim... more work than I figured I'd have to do to get it shooting right, but the end result has been worth it...

Thanks for all the advice, I pulled the trigger on this ramp...."Marble's Front Sight Ramp .100" Height .375" Dovetail Slot for .625" Barrel Steel Blue" I just got it installed with a marble front site that I had laying around in my spare parts bucket. It only has one mounting hole but seems to hold tight. The spare bead site, and ramp sit about .1" lower off the barrel compared to the original..... I think this will work out to shoot POA for elevation, plus I can drift the front site for windage. Although its not an ideal for my aging eyes, It was fairly inexpensive. I might get to the range this weekend, stay tuned for range report.
    Thanks again!
    CZVZ