Thread: Stevens 200 or Axis rifle for build

Basic Member

Stevens 200 or Axis rifle for build

Im in a dilemma. I ordered a savage axis 223 HB for my upcoming build but have since found a great deal on a stevens 200 in .223 which is $65 bucks cheaper. Which do you think would be a better platform to build from? Im rebarreling which ever one I get to a 6x45. I know both are good rifles to build off of but I would like to here from your guys experience, so I can make my mind up lol.

Basic Member
    Stevens 200. Hands down. The Axis was not designed to be better than the 10 series. It was introduced to simply offer a less expensive rifle that would serve the average, budget minded hunter. It just so happens that it can also be a dang good shooter. But if you can get a Stevens 200 for something around $250, get it. There are more and better aftermarket trigger options for it as well as stocks.

If you need to unload the Axis HB, PM me, I will send you my FFL's address. :)

Basic Member
    Ok great. I will keep you in mind Foxx if I have to end up buying from my dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Stevens 200. Hands down. The Axis was not designed to be better than the 10 series. It was introduced to simply offer a less expensive rifle that would serve the average, budget minded hunter. It just so happens that it can also be a dang good shooter. But if you can get a Stevens 200 for something around $250, get it. There are more and better aftermarket trigger options for it as well as stocks.

If you need to unload the Axis HB, PM me, I will send you my FFL's address. :)
    +1 for the Stevens 200.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

swamphonkey
    I really like the Axis rifles for the money they are one of the best rifles out. But I think the Stevens 200 will give you more options as of now. That said you can build a heck of a rifle off the axis also. if you can afford it buy both put one up built the one you want first and do the other when the time is right. I have a feeling rifles are going to be harder and harder to get as time goes on. I try and buy 2 or 3 ayear and just put them up. I have several now I have not even shot. Ishould have got 100 of them norinco sks and ak when they were 79$ and 139$ each. Same rattle boxes are 5 times that now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamphonkey View Post
    I really like the Axis rifles for the money they are one of the best rifles out. But I think the Stevens 200 will give you more options as of now. That said you can build a heck of a rifle off the axis also. if you can afford it buy both put one up built the one you want first and do the other when the time is right. I have a feeling rifles are going to be harder and harder to get as time goes on. I try and buy 2 or 3 ayear and just put them up. I have several now I have not even shot. Ishould have got 100 of them norinco sks and ak when they were 79$ and 139$ each. Same rattle boxes are 5 times that now.
    Im with you there on that. I bought an sks and a mosin nagant when I turned 18 and have since sold them for more than triple the price. My stevens 200 build is almost finished im just waiting on my 6x45 barrel from jim @ apache. Will have to post some picts of here when I get it finished.