Thread: New project rifle.

PBRG

New project rifle.

New member here, long time Savage owner. I have a Model 10 .308 that has been a real workhorse for harvesting game.
    I just picked up a 110 in 30-06 on GunBroker.
    I ordered a Douglas premium barrel,stainless 26" 1-10 twist #8 contour barrel and a Stockade Tactical bolt handle from Brownells.
    We are barreling it without a barrel nut fitting it up like a Rem, Mauser, Win etc:
    A good friend of mine barrels actions at Mickey Colemans Custom Rifles in South Al. and had done several Savages this way, and he will be doing the machine work for Me.
    The barrel is 1.220" major dia. tapering to 1" at the muzzle, and it will be installed in a Stockade Gunstocks '' Woodchuck" stock that will be ordered in the money saver version so I can finish it in my own custom woodland Krylon paint job.

A few people questioned why the '06 vs: a .308. I feel the added case capacity and using 180-190 gr. bullets would allow for better trajectory at long range, and will be working up loads for 1000 yd. matches .
    The matches I will be shooting in have a No Benchrest style stocks rule, as they are run as "tactical style" matches. Thats why the choice of the Stockade Stock as it fits the criteria.

Any thoughts on this combo good or bad ?

outlawkyote

Re: New project rifle.

For a lil added oooommmppphh, have the chamber Ackley improved. Your brass will last longer, less trimming and less case stretch. Almost no need to bump the shoulders back unless your really pushing the envelope.

The woodchuck stock will be alright but, for dedicated bench rifle you might want to consider the long range bench rest stock. I use the woodchuck stock for carry hunting even though its a lil too heavy for such. The long range bench stock is awsom for bench shooting.

outlawkyote

I guess I shoulda read the last sentence before recomending the LRBS

If bench stocks arent accepted, I think the woodchuck is a good choice

CFS

Everything sounds great, except doing away with the barrel nut.
    I think you are eliminating one of the great advantages of the Savage.
    just my two cents. Make sure you post up some pic's.

Pop

outlawkyote

Quote Originally Posted by CFS
    Everything sounds great, except doing away with the barrel nut.
    I think you are eliminating one of the great advantages of the Savage.
    just my two cents. Make sure you post up some pic's.

Pop
    Castrating the savage allows one more variable in accuracy (whether good or bad). It allows the use of larger diameter barrel therfore more resistant to barrel harmonics.
    You can always screw the barrel back off and go with the barrel nut on the next barrel then, screw the castrated barrel back on without the worry of headspacing it (headspace built in as long as you use the same action and recoil lug).

Basic Member

I built two Savage projects w/o the nut.......always regretted it......did sell the one in a 260 AI...but still have the heavy 6BR...these were both 1.230" no taper 26" tubes...I always use the nut now...FWIW...
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

outlawkyote

Huh :-[... Ive built several castrated rifles. When I want to change barrels, I just screw them off and screw another one on. Its not like your making a choice that cant be reversed and its not effecting the switch barrel effect as long as your using the same action. My next rifle is going to be castrated also. Im planning a 1.350 breach though.