Thread: Noob Help: Setup on a 10TR LEO in 308 (scope mounting setup)

Noob Help: Setup on a 10TR LEO in 308 (scope mounting setup)

While I sit patiently waiting for my firearms license to be approved, I am trying to figure some purchasing issues related to my scope. A friend purchased a 10TR LEO for me (still sitting at his house) and I want to get all of the other items ordered. Its still in the box, so that is why I have not asked him to provide any measurements. It would take away the excitement if he was to open the box instead and he is a few hours away.

I am going to purchase a Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50mm Non-Illuminated Rifle Scope with H59 Reticle. From what I have read I am leaning towards Spuhr mounts. The rifle is going to be used mainly for range use out to 1000 meters. This is where the questions come in.

I understand the 10TR comes with a 0 MOA mounting rail and the scope I am purchasing has 26 mils or 87 MOA of elevation. I am going to zero for 100 meters.

QUESTION 1: Do I need to purchase a scope mount with 0 / 10.3 / 20.4 MOA in order to get to 1000 meters?

QUESTION 2: How long is the factory rail on the 10TR? Spuhr provides a choice of mounts in the following lengths and I don't know what to order?

A) Length:121 mm/4,76"
    B) Length:147 mm/5,79"
    C) Length:150 mm/5,9"

QUESTION 3: I went online and checked out http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator. It provides all information except the scope mount + barrel taper height. Does anyone know that measurement so I can order the correct mount height? There are endless choices depending on model, with 0 MOA the options are:

Height:30 mm/1,18"
    Height:34 mm/1,35"
    Height:38 mm/1,5"
    Height: 39 mm/1,535"
    Height:48 m/1,89"

I want to make sure I get a good cheek weld.

FYI, I have spent hours trying to find this information. If you need the scope dimensions for the mount, they can be found in the manual at the following link. https://www.horusvision.com/download...horus_hdmr.pdf

Hope the above makes sense and someone is bored so they can help a noob.

bigcheese920
    1.) You'll definitely want the 20MOA rail for 308.
    2.) It's an EGW rail that's around 6.25 inches long from end to end. I'd say go with the middle one.
    3.) I have a vortex 6.5-20X44 scope with a 20moa rail and my rings are the vortex tactical lows which are .84 inches tall and it still has about a quarter inch of clearance from the barrel with my Butler creek scope covers. So the smallest rings would be fine.
    And FYI. You will not get a good cheek weld. You'll get a chin weld. You'll either have to order a new stock or get one of those kydex adjustable cheek rests like I did.

Thanks for the help. I will take a look at the kydex cheek rests and add it to a never ending list.

bigcheese920
    They're around $30-$60 depending on quality and the adjustment screw. For installation you can mark out 2 holes and drill it with a hand drill. Takes about 5 minutes.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C1A1 FAL View Post
    Thanks for the help. I will take a look at the kydex cheek rests and add it to a never ending list.
    this is all part of being a Savage owner. enjoy the experience.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    Great information my FCP-SR is still in the box saving up for the good stuff