Thread: $500 1/3 MOA gun? Yup, with the right bullets.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage

$500 1/3 MOA gun? Yup, with the right bullets.

I've really enjoyed my Savage 11 (.308). After learning to hand load with the Lee Loader and settling on a fine Sightron 4-12 scope with the HHR reticle, I set out to find a reduced recoil load that would be effect to 300 yards and hopefully match my holdover reticle crosshairs at 100/200/300 yards. I found that with a 150 grain bullet over 37 grains of H4895. It gives me a very accurate, very pleasant shooting load that still carries 1100 ft. lbs. at 300 yards.

The last component I was deciding on was bullets. I've tried Nosler Ballist Tip, Hornady SST and finally Sierra Game King 150's.

Today I had perfect shooting conditions and an empty 300-yard range, so I took advantage of it. I fired two consecutive 5-shot groups at 300 yards, both on a cold clean bore.

The 1st shot was the one one the far Left of the Sierra group, and I knew I pulled it a touch when I shot it. The other four were good shots. On the SST group, all five were good shots as far as I could tell.

If I hadn't shot the group with the Sierras, I'd be pretty satisfied with the SST's for a 300-yard hunting application. But after having seen what the Sierras are capable of, I think I know what bullet I'll be using from now on.

Thanks Savage and Sierra for such great products!

Last edited by Newtosavage; 12-25-2015 at 11:06 PM.