Thread: $500 1/3 MOA gun? Yup, with the right bullets.

Team Savage

$500 1/3 MOA gun? Yup, with the right bullets.

I've really enjoyed my Savage 11 (.308). After learning to hand load with the Lee Loader and settling on a fine Sightron 4-12 scope with the HHR reticle, I set out to find a reduced recoil load that would be effect to 300 yards and hopefully match my holdover reticle crosshairs at 100/200/300 yards. I found that with a 150 grain bullet over 37 grains of H4895. It gives me a very accurate, very pleasant shooting load that still carries 1100 ft. lbs. at 300 yards.

The last component I was deciding on was bullets. I've tried Nosler Ballist Tip, Hornady SST and finally Sierra Game King 150's.

Today I had perfect shooting conditions and an empty 300-yard range, so I took advantage of it. I fired two consecutive 5-shot groups at 300 yards, both on a cold clean bore.

The 1st shot was the one one the far Left of the Sierra group, and I knew I pulled it a touch when I shot it. The other four were good shots. On the SST group, all five were good shots as far as I could tell.

If I hadn't shot the group with the Sierras, I'd be pretty satisfied with the SST's for a 300-yard hunting application. But after having seen what the Sierras are capable of, I think I know what bullet I'll be using from now on.

Thanks Savage and Sierra for such great products!

Last edited by Newtosavage; 12-25-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Team Savage
    If I didn't know any better, I'd say those SST's were walking to the Right as that barrel warmed up. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Newtosavage; 12-25-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Team Savage
    My rifle and I are big fans of Sierra bullets. Both the 175 Sierra Matchking and the 180 grain Sierra Gamekings will shoot sub minute of angle.

Jakemore71
    Went and shot my new Model 10 P-SR a couple days ago. Sighted rifle in at 100yds, and shot sub-MOA with Sierra MK-BTHP 168gr. Amazing to me with this factory rifle.

Team Savage
    During the off-season, I'm going to play with some 165/168-grain match bullets, and you can bet they will be Sierras. I'm super impressed with those bullets.

Basic Member
    Shot a .181 three shot group using a factory fcp-sr with Hornady 168 HPBT match bullets @ 100 yds last week, and a .222 right after that. $630 OTD.
    Last edited by Front Royalty; 01-06-2016 at 11:13 PM.

As you probably know every rifle is different.
    I have had great luck with the Game Kings. I was talking with a tech at Sierra and mentioned my rifles preference for the Game Kings over the Match Kings and that it put the Game Kings all into one hole over and over again. I'm pretty sure it prefers the different ogive on the Game Kings for some reason. (Old flatback 116 in 30-06 putting 10 into .446)
    He confirmed to me that I'm not the only one whos rifle prefers the GKs over the Mks.
    Whatever your rifle likes best, when you find it, just shoot it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I've been reloading for over 40 years and have always gotten my best accuracy with Sierra bullets.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I'd suggest going heavier than 150 grain for LR shooting. The lighter bullets have a helluva time remaining stable as they dip into transonic velocities. 175 SMKs have been the ticket for me out to 600 yards, haven't had the chance to try anything heavier.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    Just remember that bc is subject to change due to velocity numbers.
    You can improve a lower bc number with velocity, but the opposite isnt true.

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    I'd suggest going heavier than 150 grain for LR shooting. The lighter bullets have a helluva time remaining stable as they dip into transonic velocities. 175 SMKs have been the ticket for me out to 600 yards, haven't had the chance to try anything heavier.
    The 175's do well out to 1k too.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I use Sierra Gamekings for hunting also.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    The 175's do well out to 1k too.
    Yep, The 175's were built side X Side with military help. They are Rock-solid crossing trans-sonic.
    While the wind will make a liar out of me at any given moment, we've been shooting them to a mile for some time now. Always land with the pointy part pointed where it should.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.