Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage 10 Scout in 7.62x39 on the way. Am I going to love or hate this gun?

Team Savage

Savage 10 Scout in 7.62x39 on the way. Am I going to love or hate this gun?

After a lot of deliberation I finally found and am having shipped to my FFL dealer, a Model 10 Scout in 7.62x39.

I decided I wanted a bolt gun in this caliber for short range hunting + cheap plinking at the range. I was convinced I wanted a CZ 527 until I learned that Savage made their model 10 Scout in this round for a while.

Considering what I'm about to pay for this gun (more than the CZ) I sure hope I'm making the right choice. I understand the Savage has the .308" bore, so that means all three rifles I load for (.308/30-30/7.62x39) should be able to use the same bullets. I load my .308 down so I'm thinking of just having a good supply of 140-grain Hornady FTX on hand for any of the three.

Am I about to make an expensive mistake, or will I love this gun?

Basic Member
    I think you will love this gun. I'm getting ready to start building my own 7.62x39 conversion with an x-caliber barrel

rl96ss
    I have one but haven't shot it yet as I'm still waiting for my rail and trying to figure out an optic. I too was going with the CZ but this Savage popped up locally for alot less than a new CZ. What optic are you going with ?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by rl96ss View Post
    I have one but haven't shot it yet as I'm still waiting for my rail and trying to figure out an optic. I too was going with the CZ but this Savage popped up locally for alot less than a new CZ. What optic are you going with ?
    I already have a Weaver 4x Scout. My M94 Win. is currently wearing it, but I have never been able to get used to a scope on that gun, so it's going back to iron sights. I think the 4x Scout is a perfect match for the 7.62x39 round, as that is a max. 200-yard hunting rifle for whitetails and 4x is a great power for 200 and in.

Incidentally, that is a fantastically bright and sharp scope, and I have the more expensive 2.75X Burris on another gun to compare it to.

I really had two criteria to meet for my next gun - 1) fun and inexpensive to shoot, and 2) a light and handy rifle I will actually hunt with. After a lot of research, it came down to a 7.62x39 bolt action carbine, so then it was just a matter of whether it would be the Zastava, CZ or Savge Scout.

I have been hunting deer with a 7.62x39 since 1987 when Ruger introduced the round in the Mini 30. Great little brush caliber. Sold the Mini 30 and purchased a CZ about 10 years ago. Love it. Topped it with a Leupold 1-4x20. I think the Savage Scout will make you an awesome rifle. My local Cabelas has one and its mighty tempting. I had one in 7mm-08 but sold it. I could never warm up to scout scope set up. I think I would remove the peep sight and put standard Weaver mounts on it.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
    I have been hunting deer with a 7.62x39 since 1987 when Ruger introduced the round in the Mini 30. Great little brush caliber. Sold the Mini 30 and purchased a CZ about 10 years ago. Love it. Topped it with a Leupold 1-4x20. I think the Savage Scout will make you an awesome rifle. My local Cabelas has one and its mighty tempting. I had one in 7mm-08 but sold it. I could never warm up to scout scope set up. I think I would remove the peep sight and put standard Weaver mounts on it.
    Not anymore they don't. You're welcome for taking that nasty temptation away. ha, ha.

If I just can't get along with the 4x Weaver Scout on that gun, I'll do as you suggest and just put a low-power traditional scope on it. That's one of the advantages of the Savage scout setup.

I really want to shoot one of those CZ's, but decided on the Savage because of the accutrigger, accustock, and because I was concerned that I'd have to mount a scope on that CZ higher than I wanted in order for the bolt handle to clear. I don't have to worry about that with the Savage.

Inebriated
    You might end up wishing it were .308.

The only complaint I had with the 7.62x39 Scout, was that it wasn't as light as I thought a 7.62x39 bolt gun should've been. Simply thought it should've been a little shorter, and a little lighter.

When I got to handle and shoot one, after selling myself on it, I just couldn't get over how much it felt like a .308. So, I passed on it.

But that aside, it's a fantastic rifle, and I love the 7.62x39 cartridge.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    You might end up wishing it were .308.

The only complaint I had with the 7.62x39 Scout, was that it wasn't as light as I thought a 7.62x39 bolt gun should've been. Simply thought it should've been a little shorter, and a little lighter.

When I got to handle and shoot one, after selling myself on it, I just couldn't get over how much it felt like a .308. So, I passed on it.

But that aside, it's a fantastic rifle, and I love the 7.62x39 cartridge.
    This is actually my only concern about getting the Savage vs. the CZ. I will have the chance to handle it before I commit to buying, so we'll see if I arrive at the same conclusion. I grew up with a W94 carbine, so that's my standard for a "brush gun."

rl96ss
    http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...fp-acss-300bo/
    Thinking about going with this scope.

Inebriated
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    This is actually my only concern about getting the Savage vs. the CZ. I will have the chance to handle it before I commit to buying, so we'll see if I arrive at the same conclusion. I grew up with a W94 carbine, so that's my standard for a "brush gun."
    I hear ya. The CZ definitely has the edge in size/weight, but the Savage is still a great rifle. Loved shooting it, when I had the opportunity. Always room for both, though :D

Well Newtosavage that explains why I couldn't put my hands on it while I was X-Mas shopping at Cabela's the other day. LOL at least its going to a good home. I believe if Savage was making that rifle when I was in the market for a bolt 7.62x39 I would of jumped on it vs. the CZ. Keep in mind you can always put a traditional rear sight on it once you remove the factory scout rail. That way you can still use QR mounts and have open sights when needed/wanted. Keep us up to date!

Team Savage
    I've already ordered a set of Warne QD rings for it as I intend to keep the rear Williams peep sight on it and remove the scope if I want to shoot with open sights - something I do way too little of with rifles anymore.

It will also be a good rifle to get kids started on and I definitely like open sights for that.

Maine-iac, can you tell me what the total weight of your CZ is, with the scope mounted?

Team Savage
    One reservation I have is getting the .308" bore with the Savage instead of the .310" bore on the CZ. Reason I say this is I was planning to shoot bulk ammo, and hunt with the Hornady factory load (steel case, FTX 123 gr. bullet), which are all .311" bullets. However, I hand load for .308 and .30-30 (Lee Loader) and was thinking the .308 bore may come in handy if I start hand loading for the 7.62x39, allowing me to just buy one or two bullets for all three rounds.

Do you suppose the Hornady .311" bullets will shoot well enough from the Savage?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    One reservation I have is getting the .308" bore with the Savage instead of the .310" bore on the CZ. Reason I say this is I was planning to shoot bulk ammo, and hunt with the Hornady factory load (steel case, FTX 123 gr. bullet), which are all .311" bullets.
    This was the whole reason that kept me from buying a .308 barrel and just having it re chambered to 7.62x39 instead I've decided to get the x-caliber barrel since I get the option of the .310 bore so I can shoot cheaply.

Basic Member
    Are you talking about the SST because I can't find the 7.62x39 in the FTX
    Last edited by futurerider103; 12-26-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Newtosavage my CZ weighs in at just under 6 3/4 lbs with the steel Warne QD ring mounts and a Leupold VX2 1-4x20. I don't reload as of yet so nothing but factory ammo for me. The CZ loves the Federal Fusion and Power Shock ammo. That's what I hunt with. Plinking at the range I can shoot Privi, Tula, Wolf ect. Two of my favorite rifles are Savage's but if I was going to buy a 7.62x39 I would go with the CZ.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by futurerider103 View Post
    Are you talking about the SST because I can't find the 7.62x39 in the FTX
    Yes, my mistake. Maybe it was wishful thinking that they had it in FTX - that would actually make more sense to me. But yes, the SST. And I laid hands on them (Hornady 123's in SST) today at an Academy store. They had a 50-round box of the Hornady 7.62x39 steel case with 123-grain SST's. Looked okay to me, but of course the proof is in the shooting.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
    Newtosavage my CZ weighs in at just under 6 3/4 lbs with the steel Warne QD ring mounts and a Leupold VX2 1-4x20. I don't reload as of yet so nothing but factory ammo for me. The CZ loves the Federal Fusion and Power Shock ammo. That's what I hunt with. Plinking at the range I can shoot Privi, Tula, Wolf ect. Two of my favorite rifles are Savage's but if I was going to buy a 7.62x39 I would go with the CZ.
    Thanks. I will have a chance to handle the Savage before I commit to buying it. I handled a CZ today (albeit another caliber) and was very impressed. You (and others) make a good argument for the CZ. I'm absolutely sure it's a fantastic little gun. I don't think a person can go wrong with either the CZ or the Savage - just different styles and features.

I would with go the Cz
    Especially if Cz has a single set trigger

Basic Member
    I like the cz because they typically have excellent quality but I hate the design of the detachable magazine on them being attached to the trigger guard

Team Savage
    Two things about the CZ I don't care for. 1) magazine not flush at the balance point, and 2) stock comb was designed for iron sights only and you have to mount a scope so high that I just don't see much of a cheek weld happening. But the wood stock and light weight do appeal to me, as does the idea of handing it down to grandkids someday.

Since I plan to hand load, the option of having all three of my hunting rifles using .308 bullets appeals to me, as does the Accutrigger and Accustock on the Savage. I'm also hoping that I like the scout scope arrangement on the Savage. Just wish it wasn't so pricey.

If it will make you feel better I think it is a rifle that will hold its value and the kids and grand kids will think its cool as heck!

Team Savage
    You mean the CZ, or the Savage?

The Savage!

Team Savage
    Oh, okay. That's good!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast