Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axis HB camo at Walmart question

kanddr

Axis HB camo at Walmart question

I was at Walmart this evening finishing a few last minute gifts and wandered to their gun area. They had a Axis HB in Camo with an Accutrigger topped by a Bushnell 3-12 (or possibly 4-12) scope with a parallax or focusing ring on the front for $417. I dont see this model anywhere on Sagave's site and I was wondering if this is a special model made only for them? I cant find the scope on Bushnell's site either. Any info you guys can share on this model and the price?

Basic Member
    If it's a Heavy Barrel, I would grab it. I have never heard of any HB's with Accutrigger or Camo or Scope.

All I have seen are basic triggers and they run about $320 on the cheaper websites. If you don't want the scope, it's still worth $25-55 at a gun show and I always figure the Accutrigger is about $50-75 upgrade.

If you like the camo, there's no telling what that's worth.

I doubt the focus ring you mention is for parallax adjustment, 12x scopes don't need it and it's a much more expensive feature than what they would put on a package rifle. Doesn't mean it won't serve your purposes, just saying.

For comparison purposes, though, you can get a plain - jane blind mag model 12fv from Cabelas for same price. It is also a heavy barrel, but has a better action, 26 inch barrel, all metal trigger guard, etc.

If you want camo, and a kinda cheap scope and a kinda cheap detachable mag, the Axis is good choice. If you can live without them, the model 12fv is better overall basic quality, I think.

kanddr
    Thanks for the thorough reply.
    Yep, this definitely had the accutrigger on it and was in camo. I tend to think this is a model specifically for Walmart and since it's an Axis HB it qualifies for the $50 rebate making it $367. The 12FV looks like a really nice model but I can always use the scope from the Axis on a cheaper gun and replace it with some nicer glass.
    I think I may get it tomorrow and if I do I'll post some pics.

I've also never heard of an Axis HB with an Accutrigger, being bundled with a scope, or having a camo stock, but I suppose it could be a Wal-Mart exclusive. My guess would be that it was a mislabeled Axis II XP. That still wouldn't explain the camouflage stock, but it is more likely that a II could find its way into a factory camo stock than an HB.

It was my understanding that the retailer was actually the party that put on the scope for XP rifles, which would explain why there seems to be a good deal of variation when it comes to the makes and models of scopes used. I did find this scope on Wal-Mart's website when looking for potential matches to the scope you described. It's a bit more expensive and elaborate than the $100 bargain basement scopes typically bundled with Savages, but as far as I know it's not some dark horse optical wonder that's worth way more than its price would indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by kanddr View Post
    Thanks for the thorough reply.
    ...I can always use the scope from the Axis on a cheaper gun...
    There are cheaper guns?!

kanddr
    This wasn't a one off because he had the floor model as well as one in the box. That solves it, I'll have to get this thing tomorrow because it has my curiosity up.

By cheaper gun, I have a few .22's that it would work well on.

op, was the muzzle threaded?
    looks like it is a good buys, go for it!
    newbie from gr, mi.

kanddr
    So here are the pictures of the mystery Axis II HB camo. The box says Axis II XP .223 Pred. The muzzle is not threaded.

IMG_2554 by kanddr, on Flickr

IMG_2555 by kanddr, on Flickr

IMG_2553 by kanddr, on Flickr

Basic Member
    WM has a lot of savage made for them that do not show up on the savage web site, My Axis .223 is not listed on the Savage site either, I called savage to get info on the rifle like the twist, etc.

My .223 15 shot clip was made from another post on this site :)

Last edited by Lonewulf; 12-24-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Basic Member
    Hmmm... obviously, you were right. It does have parallax adjustment out front. Not sure why. Maybe its a 4-14?? (Not 12x?)

Regardless, seems like a prtty good deal and a nice looking rifle.

Basic Member
    bet its a 4-12 or 4-16, x40 I have a couple scopes like that in Bushnell

Basic Member
    I'm sure savage is closed till after new years
    call them then with your gun info, model and serial # and they can give you more info on the gun :)
    1-800-370-0708

kanddr
    Yep, I'll definitely be calling them because I want to know the rate of twist mainly. Thanks for your help guys. I need to get this sighted in soon and go find some coyotes.

Well, shut my mouth. That is pretty cool! Thanks for following up and entreating our curiosity.

have the same scope from a rifle a friend bought. it was a line maybe below a banner? have it on a marlin 22 and it works great. cant remember for sure but i think it is the bushnell sharpshooter line.
    Last edited by godale; 12-25-2015 at 08:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Axis HB Predator?
    Interesting.......
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

If one of those shows up at my local WallyWorld, I'll definitely buy it. I've never owned a .223, and have been thinking about a knock-around gun to throw in the truck when I head to the woods in the off-season. This fits the bill perfectly. Please let us know how it shoots.

kanddr
    Quote Originally Posted by godale View Post
    have the same scope from a rifle a friend bought. it was a line maybe below a banner? have it on a marlin 22 and it works great. cant remember for sure but i think it is the bushnell sharpshooter line.
    It is the Sharpshooter. I compared it to head to head with my Nikon Prostaff and it isnt in the same league so I'll be switching it out and putting something nicer on it and I'll move that to another long gun in my collection. I might put it on a Nikon P223 or M223 base for some part time duty on one of my AR's.

Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
    If one of those shows up at my local WallyWorld, I'll definitely buy it. I've never owned a .223, and have been thinking about a knock-around gun to throw in the truck when I head to the woods in the off-season. This fits the bill perfectly. Please let us know how it shoots.
    I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to do any good test shooting with it since all of our 100yd or longer ranges have feet of snow covering them. I'm thinking I'll just get it sighted in this winter for some coyote hunting and then hit the benches this spring for some groupings.

It helps that my Walmart is in a gun friendly state (Utah) and an especially gun friendly area (rural) because they have quite a decent selection of guns that I havent seen at any other stores (not that I shop for my guns at Walmart but I always like to look). It also helps that the sporting goods manager is also a huge gun enthusiast and helps them keep models that may not be found at other stores. He said he used to write gun articles in magazines but I'm not sure if that's true. If you want one PM me and I can get his information if you want to order one and have it shipped to your local store.

kanddr
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
    WM has a lot of savage made for them that do not show up on the savage web site, My Axis .223 is not listed on the Savage site either, I called savage to get info on the rifle like the twist, etc.

My .223 15 shot clip was made from another post on this site :)

Do you remember which post that was where you learned to modify the magazine to fit a PMAG?
    EDIT: Never Mind, I searched the site and found it. Thanks.
    Last edited by kanddr; 12-26-2015 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Wow, the search function works. :)

This is the gun I wanted but they didn't make. So I went with a normal axis HB. Looks really cool hope it works well for you. I really like mine

Basic Member
    You can determine the rate of twist yourself with a cleaning rod, piece of tape and tight patch. From the muzzle end, run the tight patch 3/4 or more down the barrel, but not all the way. Wrap a piece of duct tape or electrical tape or something like that around the rod with the ends of the tape extending out so they can be stuck together. Put the tape right at the muzzle of the barrel with the "wings" or the tape ends pointed up. Hold the rod at the handle and slowly pull the rod out until it rotates 360 degrees. Measure how far you drew the rod out from the barrel. I bet it will be about 9 inches. If so, you have a 1:9 twist.

Monsieur foxx is on the money once again
    My favorite way is the hold the savage box end with the label up and scan for the twist rate on the line with the caliber ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    You can determine the rate of twist yourself with a cleaning rod, piece of tape and tight patch. From the muzzle end, run the tight patch 3/4 or more down the barrel, but not all the way. Wrap a piece of duct tape or electrical tape or something like that around the rod with the ends of the tape extending out so they can be stuck together. Put the tape right at the muzzle of the barrel with the "wings" or the tape ends pointed up. Hold the rod at the handle and slowly pull the rod out until it rotates 360 degrees. Measure how far you drew the rod out from the barrel. I bet it will be about 9 inches. If so, you have a 1:9 twist.
    +1, I was going to say the same thing, most likely a 1 in 9" twist.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    hey guys, i ran into one of those elusive Heavy barreled Camo Axis at Walmart today. they had one in 30-06 in "mossy oak" and one in 223 in some other pattern i really liked. as always the gun counter person wasn't around and i didn't have time to find out what camo pattern it was. i'm going to keep an eye on it. the 223 was $417 and the 06 was $397, don't know why, they both had Bushnell's on them and except for the camo patterns they were the same.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    Since we are on the Axis subject :) My Axis HB 22-250 came in last night to my local Farm King store, got it for $267 out the door and mailing the $50 rebate to savage tomorrow :),, $217 total is not bad :) I hate plastic and have a Boyds walnut classic stock ordered already

Basic Member
    That's an incredible deal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast