Thread: 260 Reloading Combination

TankWJ

260 Reloading Combination

Hey guys,
    I have been doing a lot of reading on here and other forums but I wanted to hear the opinions from others on my plans for my next reloading setup.

I currently have a model 11 308 setup that I am planning to re-barrel to 260 REM. With my 308 setup, I have had decent results using the Lee Collet die to generally only resize the neck. For the 260, I was planning to purchase a Forster FL die (for initial sizing and then to FL resize as necessary) and then purchase a Lee Collet die for neck only sizing. I was going to use the Forster benchrest seater die. My press is a Lee Classic.

Has anyone used this combination of dies specifically with the 260 REM? I'd just be curious to hear feedback.

Thanks in advance!

LongRange
    i use all three of the dies you mention and they are all fantastic...the lee collet die is IMO the best die to use if only neck sizing...buy 4 extra mandrels and you can hone them down for different neck tensions.
    the forster is the best FL die next to a custom because once you figure out your loaded neck size you can send the forster in and have the neck honed a few thousandths under so your not over working the necks and have custom E-10 expander balls made so you can adjust neck tension...and the best thing is all 3 dies are reasonably priced.

TankWJ
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had considered using one of the bushing die setups for neck and controlling neck tension, but I think I will start off with the Collet setup and see how it does.

LongRange
    personally i dont care for the bushing dies and i used them for a few years...the collet die is great and like i said you can buy extra mandrels for a couple of dollars each chuck them in a drill and use sand paper to hone them down for different neck tensions.

id also suggest you buy a couple of extra caps for the collet die just in case you blow a top off...i did LOL...the thing to understand about the collet die is that it only sizes the neck so much no matter how much you over cam it so to get more tension you will need a smaller mandrel...you can also order under sized mandrels direct from lee.
    Last edited by LongRange; 12-23-2015 at 12:06 PM.

Basic Member
    I use exactly the same set up as well. Lee collet/forester seater. I'm around 10 firings on Lapua brass and have yet to worry about fl sizing. I have a Redding body die just in case. Runout is .002 or less for 95% of the rounds. Best combo in my opinion. I run Redding bushing die with forester seater on my 338 and it's great to but at a much higher cost. The lee collet die, plain and simple, just works great. I cam over on a rcbs rock chucker press.
    Last edited by hafejd30; 12-24-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Basic Member
    I do the same thing.. I set up my press to cam over with the Lee Collet die. There were some good instructions on how to set that up somewhere in cyberspace... I've not FL resized a round in my 260 for 4 firings now.. I did the same thing in my 308 and never FL resized for 9 firings... I haven't been running hot loads either...

TankWJ
    This is all good to hear. I have quite a few firings on my 308 brass without FL sizing and it has done fine. I'm looking forward to moving over to the new setup.

Team Savage
    This thread confirms my opinions on this subject also, and I agree 100% as well - thanks everyone!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    I use exactly the same set up as well. Lee collet/forester seater. I'm around 10 firings on Lapua brass and have yet to worry about fl sizing. I have a Redding body die just in case. Runout is .002 or less for 95% of the rounds. Best combo in my opinion. I run Redding bushing die with forester seater on my 338 and it's great to but at a much higher cost. The lee collet die, plain and simple, just works great. I cam over on a rcbs rock chucker press.
    Should also note I've used this setup for years on 308 and works well to. Never body sized that either

I've reloaded a lot of 6.5 Creedmoor and a few .308 with the Lee Collet neck die. Some rounds chamber like they should some not. I'm about to start FL re sizing on them for a while. According to everything I've read the neck size dies don't bump the shoulder back giving the hard chambering cases.

I do have a redding 3 die set for 6.5-284 with a neck die that seems to do a better job than the lee but I've noticed it needs lube or it's very rough on the up stroke of the press. I do have a set of Forster dies for my 6mm-47 Lapua I'm building but havent got far enough along to use them though.

Not exactly your situation but similar in the case of the creedmoor.