Thread: Help! 270win blind box to 300 wm mag fed conversion issue.

rick55_55

Help! 270win blind box to 300 wm mag fed conversion issue.

So I ran into an issue with my build. I have a older 110 pre accutrigger that was a 270win blind box. I am converting it to a mag fed 300wm with a MDT TAC 21 chassis. The problem I ran into is the magazine cannot seat all the way because the opening in the bottom of the reciever is not long enough to allow the magazine to be inserted into it. Is this a common problem when doing this type of conversion? Did savage make changes to the bottom opening in the reciever? I have the skill/ability to put the receiver into a mill and open it up some to allow the mag to work, any known problems in doing that?

Another small issue I have is the rear action screw hole is pretty severely cross threaded in the first couple of turns, so much so that it cannot be chased with a tap from the bottom. Do I drill out the first couple threads and use what's left? Another method i seen was drilling a hole just big enough in the top of the action directly inline with the action screw hole and chase it from the top. Which do I do?

Basic Member
    This is not a common problem, but we have seen it happen a few times before. I believe this is a Stagger feed action, correct? Unfortunately it means that you have to mill out the action to make it work!

Basic Member
    that's what i was wondering, if these stocks will only fit centerfeed actions. i looked on the website and they make no mention of the action type these will fit. hope it works out for you whatever you decide to do.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    As for the action screw hole, it sounds like you have the skills to set the action on the drill press table and square it up with the largest drill bit that will go into the hole easily. Secure the action in place, remove the drill bit, and replace it In the chuck with a 1/4x28 starter tap, run it into the hole and rotate the chuck by hand, chasing the threads. This has worked for me in various different applications. If for any reason this doesn't work, your next best option is to rebore and move up one thread size.

I would "NOT" drill a hole in the top of the action! :-((

rick55_55
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    As for the action screw hole, it sounds like you have the skills to set the action on the drill press table and square it up with the largest drill bit that will go into the hole easily. Secure the action in place, remove the drill bit, and replace it In the chuck with a 1/4x28 starter tap, run it into the hole and rotate the chuck by hand, chasing the threads. This has worked for me in various different applications. If for any reason this doesn't work, your next best option is to rebore and move up one thread size.

I would "NOT" drill a hole in the top of the action! :-((
    Pretty much how I was going to do it and yeah I was going to avoid the method of drilling the top of the reciever at all cost. Just wanted to see someone else's reaction to that.

In other news I completely solved my problem today. Found a like new 111 chambered in 7mm rem mag at my local gun shop today. Got it for $325 out the door and it's almost too clean to rip apart but what ever. Drop in the criterion barrel, headspace and done. The old action was missing some stuff like a magnum bolt head and would have to do a pin size swap plus the additional machine work. I'll just use it for some other crazy project down the road.

Your find sure saved you a lot of work.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67