Thread: Axis and bipods.

birdmove

Axis and bipods.

Thinking of getting an Axis. Here, we have no outdoor ranges, so I would have to go onto legal hunting land, with a hunting license (though I'm not a hunter), and a caliber that is legal for whatever game is in season, and set up in a safe spot to shoot. And, wear an orange vest. Then I may be okay.
    So, I'll have to make a portable target stand. I'm thinking about, instead of having to also take a table and small shooting rest, trying to simplify things by attaching a bi-pod, laying on the ground. I'm wondering if a bi-pod presents problems when using one? I've never used one, so thought I should ask. I read somewhere that a person said a bi-pod might enough pressure against the barrel to cause a bit of a point of impact change.
    Just trying to do my homework. Thanks for any comments.

Jon in Keaau

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Bipods are fun. All I use are bipods unless the situation warrants something else - like the side of the truck bed, tree branch, etc.

The Axis has the Flex-O-Matic plastic stock & you may find the stock will flex enough to press against the barrel causing a little bit of disturbance with barrel harmonics.

One of the reasons why so many of us added a little reinforcement to the fore end of the stock or saved our nickels & dimes and bought a Boyds.

Beyond that, have at it and shoot safely.

PS - I don't know if you have access to the tech pages but there's some good info in there about Axis mods. Click on "HOME" and "articles" and look around.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    They can if not used or attached properly. Personally I use a Harris BRMS 6-9' attached to the sling swivel stud and when used in a prone where I can position the bipod and dig it in correctly I don't believe it presents a problem at all.

On the other hand if you were shooting off a steel table per se with no support it could cause you're gun to jump around a little bit and more than likely affect your point of impact.

If you properly free float your barrel in the Axis stock and have a bipod that attachs to the sling swivel stud and not the barrel then I don't see it affecting the harmonics at all.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    If you shoot free recoil there usually isn't a problem with flex. If you load the bipod a little, it will flex the stock.

In most cases it doesn't present a problem. Depends on your shooting style / habits, I reckon.

Ps - Roscoe P. Coltrain, how you doing my brother in arms?
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

birdmove
    I love this forum. Gotta see if there is a .22 long rifle section, so I can talk about my pump action octagon barrel, takedown Savage made in the 1930's.

Quote Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
    I love this forum. Gotta see if there is a .22 long rifle section, so I can talk about my pump action octagon barrel, takedown Savage made in the 1930's.
    You're looking for the Vintage Savage Rimfires board in the Vintage section.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I use a cheap eBay $20 bipod and it works good for me