Thread: More Fun With Spray Paint - Matching Factory Matte Finish

More Fun With Spray Paint - Matching Factory Matte Finish

As noted in another thread, I recently got my hands on an Apache barrel in .338 Federal. It's a chrome-moly tube and came with the bluing applied over a machine finish. But this gun was destined for an Axis, and a blued finish just wouldn't match. I dug into my supply of rattlecans and grabbed an old can of Dupli-Color Low Gloss Black Engine Enamel (DE1634).

After degreasing and bringing everything up to room temperature (it's been unexpectedly seasonably cold), I was ready. The barrel sat for 24 hours before installation, and I think it's more or less a pretty good match. The texture of the substrate was different, and this was transmitted through the finish. Blasting would have been better choice.

It came out pretty nice. I look forward to getting the gun fully assembled and onto the range. It should make a nice woods rifle. The barrel is a 20" magnum contour with 5/8-24 threads and a heavy shoulder. Currently it has the cheap muzzle brake from Maxis, which I found has an aperture of 0.4". It's way too wide for a .338, but it should help absorb some recoil. It's still the host to my first shim and trim trigger job. The scope will eventually be a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm. I've not decided if I want to try to revisit my previous attempts at fiberglassing the factory stock, but I'd like to try to keep it as light as possible.

Basic Member
    Yes sir great job.

338 Fed is a great round.
    INFERNO

Basic Member
    How do you presume it will hold up? I'm guessing it's going to be used primarily as a hunting rifle rather than a target shooter, just curious if you think it should stay pretty well.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

I've found that paint's not that bad unless I'm scraping it against a concrete bench or it's absorbing my face grease. Seriously, I don't know why my face exudes paint stripper, but the paint on cheekpieces and combs seems to peel off long before any of the high traffic areas like grips and forends.