Thread: Savage 111 7mm WSM Build

Savage 111 7mm WSM Build

I've been lurking here awhile but haven't posted much, I'd like to thank everyone for everything I've learned. As the title says I'm building a 7mm WSM on a savage 270 donor rifle I picked up at a local pawn shop. It's a center feed with a bottom bolt release and and accutrigger.
    Here is what I have in it so far.
    270 Rifle $240 OTD
    26" Heavy Barrel $72 Shipped Ebay
    PT&G Bolt $58 Midway

In the way as funds permit:
    PT&G Bottom metal
    Boyd's classic stock (although I don't like the idea of inletting the barrel channel myself)

Of course midway sent a short action Magnum bolt even though it was listed for a 110. This led to about 1/4" firing pin extrusion so I had to fix the problem before I could test fire. I did not want to modify the firing pin because I may want to switch back to 270 eventually. I was not interested in sending it back since I'll eventually need it for my Axis build. Right wrong or indifferent here was my solution:

I had several stainless washers left over from a project on my boat that were the prefect size to slide into the bolt body and keep the firing pin from traveling too far. Right now my firing pin extrusion is .047" and its very reliable so far. The only down side I can see is that if the washers spread out I could see extended lockup time or light primer strikes but neither are evident so far. I haven't inlet the factory stock yet so I've just been test firing so far. If I get out to the pasture and shoot some 100yd groups I'll post them.

Does anyone have a good solution for marking the caliber on the barrel after installation? I guess I could use letter punches but they always look a little sloppy.

Does anyone have a good solution for marking the caliber on the barrel after installation? I guess I could use letter punches but they always look a little sloppy.
    Careful use of an engraving pen. The vibrating type.
    Or acid etching. Link
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Take the barrel to a trophy shop, they can laser engrave it for about $10. Mark the barrel with a crayon in the area you want the engraving before you remove it.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Careful use of an engraving pen. The vibrating type.
    Or acid etching. Link
    Thanks, I may have found my Christmas present.

Now that Midway has the right bolt in stock I have one on the way. Now what to build with a Mag boldface on an Axis? I have a lathe. Has anyone successfully opened up an axis bolt face? I have 2 223's and need one for a 308. I'd assume that with a carbide tip it should work.

Axis bolt heads are interchangeable with the 110 series bolt heads. Just order a .473 bolt head and you're set.
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Axis bolt heads are interchangeable with the 110 series bolt heads. Just order a .473 bolt head and you're set.
    My newly purchased axis 223 has a short action bolt head (I just pulled it apart to make sure). My 111 uses a long action bolt head and I thought the 110 did also?

Sorry, slipped an extra 1 in there. The Axis model uses the short action bolt head for all calibers