Thread: Savage 11 308 barrel Break In Peocedure

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    NHSavage

Savage 11 308 Barrel Break In Procedure

I realize that barrel break-in has many divided on supporting to do this or not. I am new to rifles and besides my muzzleloader have been a smooth bore Hunter for some time. I read through the savage manual and found it odd on how they mentioned the barrel breakin process as there being a divide on doing it but then listed what a magazine article recommends.

When I got to the range this was all new to me. A couple of guys there who were clearly shooting enthusiasts helped me quite a bit. I asked about barrel break in and of course their opinion was about as confident as the statement from savage. They explained why and when it is important and that with the consistency of savage manufacturing that it should not be needed. I then shot 30 or so rounds that day and focused on sighting the scope and barrel cooling between shots. Cleaning it between trips I returned to shoot another 20 rounds and accuracy was way off. I did not realize this until I got home but a loose scope is likely to blame for that.

I cleaned it with Hoppes solvent but have yet to use a copper cleaner. Did I just pollute my barrel by not following this barrel break in procedure?

Full disclosure is that I do not like the fit and finish of this gun. Weight is awesome as well as the balance and recoil. Where the barrel mates to the action, there is an ever-so-small mark on the edge of the rim that looks like a hammer was used or it was dropped. The top of the barrel also seems discolored if you remove from the stock and rotate it in good light. The clip on the magazine is also challenging to snap in reliably.

Just looking for opinions on the break in though. I will likely only keep one rifle and want something that at least in my mind for now be the right one in the safe. Beyond the cosmetic issues and the magazine not staying put, I really like this gun.
    Last edited by NHSavage; 12-18-2015 at 08:32 AM.