Thread: help with savage model 10 info

tree_hunting

help with savage model 10 info

Hi,
    I'm new to the group. I am looking for help with info about my Savage model 10 .243 Winchester. I bought this rifle brand new about 4 years ago.
    I know it has the accu-trigger because it is easy to see. I don't know if it has the accu-stock.......I am assuming it does. How do I know for sure?
    It has max1 camo on the stock and the barrel is matte black and has ribs that run the length and circumference of the barrel. In the Marines we called this a bull barrel.
    Is this what savage calls it, or do they call it a heavy barrel?
    I put a Nikon Monarch W/BDC scope on this rifle the day I bought it and I love the feel and accuracy of the shot.
    What bullet is recommended for deer hunting?
    What is the value of my set-up?
    I'm considering adding a savage 270 to the safe.......suggestions.
    lots of questions here. I hope to hear some feedback.
    Thanks!

Basic Member
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I can't answer all of your questions here and now, but there are others who might have some input to offer in regards to .243 bullet choices for deer hunting, etc.

I can say the Accustock has an aluminum rail that runs beneath the action and down the majority of the length of the forearm. If you remove the screws under the action (all but the rear-most screw which attaches the rear of the trigger guard to the stock), and inspect the interior of the stock, you will immediately see the aluminum rail. Also, you can normally see a portion of the rail by looking down into the forearm of the stock, along the barrel, into the barrel channel...

As for the name of the barrel... Call it what you want... "Bull Barrel" is normally a barrel with no taper. It will be a full 1 inch diameter or more all the way to the muzzle. Rare except with target rifles. "Varmint" is usually tapered somewhat, maybe down to about 3/4 inch diameter at the muzzle. "Heavy Barrel" is maybe something heavier than a "Sporter" barrel, which is quite light weight, tapered rather aggressively from about 3 inches in front of the action. "Heavy" is maybe synonymous with "Varmint".

I will differ with Foxx slightly on the Accu-stock description.
    Rather than looking for an aluminum rail, look for a strip of sheet metal running along the forend, also typically broken near the front of the action.
    Go to savages website if you want the "correct" terminology for the barrel profile. I'd call it a fluted Varmint barrel.
    What kind of deer? Idaho 90# white tail? Shot anything over 70gr. E. WA mule deer? 85+gr.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    ^^^ ??? What are you talking about?

I advised the OP that if he looks for the Accurail, he will see it. He can look along the inside of the barrel channel or remove the action from the stock.

Also, I have never seen or even heard of the aluminum rail braking. It certainly isn't a piece of "sheet metal", either. Kinda strange commentary, I think.

Oh well. :)

Basic Member
    http://m.savagearms.com/#/firearms/m...ATORHUNTERMAX1

Sounds like it's a predator hunter max

At least early-on, the Accu-stock had what looked like a strip of sheet metal, running the length of the barrel channel. The two I had were definitely not aluminum rails, they were Tupperware with sheet metal.
    They loved to crack near the front action screw/barrel nut.

If they figured out that was a bad joke, and went to an actual "rail" then cheers! That's after what I saw.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    If it were an accustock, typically it will have 52 stickers on it saying so...guys around the shops refer to them as "afro-stocks".
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."