Thread: Boyd's stock for Axis

Basic Member

Boyd's stock for Axis

I see a lot of talk on here about having to work on the Boyd's stocks when they arrive before the actions are mounted in them. Is it always necessary to bed the action on these rifles in the Boyd's stocks or is it just a preference of everyone to bed the action on all of their rifles? I just ordered a new Boyd's prairie hunter stock for my Axis in 7mm08. I had to do a lot of work to the factory stock to get it to shoot like I wanted and was sure hoping I would not have to do it on this new stock.

rplewis145
    I bought the feather weight for my 308 win. Everything went together fine last year. This season having issues with the magazine releaseing. It seems the.plastic piece used for the mag lockin has moved preventing the release. Still working on a fix here.That said I was able to take 2 deer this season using it as a single shot

I didn't need to bed my action for it to set right in the Boyd's Heritage I bought. However, I opted to do it before taking it to the range because I figured it would help with accuracy. This is my first bolt gun so I based my decision on what I had read (seems an awful lot of people recommend bedding). I won't be able to say whether or not the bedding improved accuracy but I'm sure it won't have hurt it. And yes, I intend to bed the other bolt gun I'm building - for the same reason.

Like Ed says, I bedded mine because I wanted it bedded. I'm the kind of guy who would bed an action even if it was on an aluminum bedding block! It seems like most of the problems people have getting their Boyds stocks to fit their rifles centers on the plastic bits that have been creeping into the stocks.

One of the most common problem is that their front action screw is too short. Once the plastic escutcheon is removed and a metal pillar is installed, this becomes a non-issue. I suspect there my be some molding problems in the plastic piece that contribute to the factory screw seeming too short, but it's a problem that never manifested on any of my several Boyds Axis stocks.

The other major problem people have is the magazine not locking in. Once again, the plastic latch plate in the stock seems to be to blame. This problem did rear its head on one of my stocks. I resolved the problem by removing the latch plate from its groove, scraping a wayward splinter of wood out of the groove, and re-seating the plate. Others have fixed it by filing the notch in the plate a little deeper so the tab on the magazine can lock in place.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies. I did quite a bit of work to the Tupperware stock that came on it just to get it to shoot. I was hoping the Boyd's stock would be different. Guess I will just have to wait until I get it to find out.

A Boyds stock is still an improvement over just about anything we can do to our plastic stocks. If someone were just starting off with their Axis, I'd recommend putting in the DIY effort on improving a better stock.

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    A Boyds stock is still an improvement over just about anything we can do to our plastic stocks. If someone were just starting off with their Axis, I'd recommend putting in the DIY effort on improving a better stock.
    The Dr. has prescribed what I feel is the right remedy. Yeah, I had to futz with the Boyd's stock but it was all relatively minor and I'm happy with it after putting in the work.

I just got the pro varmint stock. Bolted right in and works great

Basic Member
    My stock finally came in today. to settle my concerns about the fit I took some thin red grease and applied a light coat to the bottom side of the action and placed it in the new stock. Once I pulled the action down with the screws I checked to see if the barrel was free floated with a playing card and found the clearance to be great. When I pulled the action out to look at the where the contact points were it is contacting very nice along the bottom 1/3 of the action. I suppose it could use some bedding on the sides of the barrel so it would be a glove like fit but it fits so good I am gonna give it a trip to the range later in the week just as she is. The mag seems to fit up pretty good as well and the action screws seem to be long enough. I am pretty pleased with the fit and finish. Ready to give it a shot.

Edzzed
    I bought the thumbhole stock for my Axis. Fit's perfectly. I did not bed it. Just mounted it and took it out to shoot. It will hit the + cross hairs on the paper target. Couldn't be happier about that. I don't know how it shot with the plastic stock as I swapped things before ever firing it.

A good bedding with something like Devcon Steel Putty will insure the rifle shoots accurately for a long time. The Boyd's stock doesn't have pillars so the possibility exists that the wood in the action area can become compressed causing the action to eventually move around ruining accuracy.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67