I'm considering buying a new Axis, mostly for target shooting and experimenting with handloads. I'm retired and 62, and my dad staring me handloading (with STRICT supervision) at 14. Since, I've done a lot of load developement and handloading in a bunch of calibers for handguns and rifles. I sold most of my firearms when we moved to Hawaii in 2011.

One question I have is, would it be better to buy the Axis II XP that comes with the adjustable trigger and scope, or just go with the standard Axis? I know the scope is nowhere near top of the line. Should I just go for a heavy barrel model? I am not going to drop a bunch of money into the Axis. I'm no bench rest expert either, and am not expecting miracles from a $300-$450 blot action rifle.

And, yeah, I have considered a .22 long rifle, but, when I was a very active shooter on the mainland, I had no problem finding all kinds of different ammo to try. One can't order ammo, powder and such to be delivered to hawaii it seems. And, looking at the local gun stores here, they have a pitiful selection in .22lr. I can order bullets, brass (don't know about primers yet) though.

For my purposes, I figures .223 would be a good caliber. A very common caliber, and the bullets, brass, and powder capacity should make it a pretty thrifty way to go. I've not handloaded .223 before, but did load .222, .22 Hornet, .243, 30-30 and some others. I did, however, handload for 7mm TCU, which you start with .223 brass and open it up to 7mm. I also used to cast bullets, but have no plans to get back into that.

Remember, I'm going into this for fun. I love experimenting and the challenge of coming up with a load that might go .5 moa if I can do my job as a shooter. I don't have a lot to spend, but the Axis seems like a pretty solid gun fior an old geezer like me.

As to the caliber, I wouldn't mind working with a .243, as that is where it all began for me. Should I consider the .308? I'd like to choose a caliber with good chances of decent accuracy to start with.

Some of you may own an Axis in several calibers, and I'd love to hear what you have to say with comparing accuracy.