Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for a Bangsteel.com training day

Basic Member

Getting ready for a Bangsteel.com training day

After some online research, and discovering that Dan Newberry himself conducts the course, Ive decided to give their day clinic a try before beginning my F-T/R endeavor. Looks like a ton of fun! I have some things on order prior to scheduling the course in January. ANyone else have first hand experience with Bangsteel.com?

gege hughes
    I hope to go down next fall. Check out the Facebook page. Should be a great learning experience.

Basic Member
    I think someone posted earlier this year they had attended training with Dan. I could be mistaken but I thought Dan had posted to the thread also. Let's us know what you think I would also like to go.

Basic Member
    Definitely will! I emailed him a few days ago and gave him my equipment list and load data. Sight unseen, he suggested I up my charge weight given my brass, primer, and bullet combination. Went to the range today and shot two of the best groups of my life, .181 and .222 with a stock 10 FCP-SR in .308, making all of my load development to date with this rifle (99 rounds) an effort in futility. This guy really knows his stuff! And mine, apparently. This should be awesome! I'm stoked.

Dan is good people. The thread was by DrThunder88 I think. And Dan did post. I'm up there for their semi-monthly matches regularly. Actually was there this past Saturday for one. My buddy took top 308 with an FCP-SR that day too.

This is the thread from when he went.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ight=Bangsteel

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    This is the thread from when he went.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ight=Bangsteel
    Awesome, thanks for the link!

Basic Member
    Man I'm stoked for this course. Ive been planning on attending a day clinic during the week, but I'm starting to think that with my limited long range experience, that it would be in my best interest to attend the two day course. My free weekends are few and far between, but this is one of those things that will last a lifetime. I have a 20MOA base on the way, 200 pcs new brass as well as an anti cant device. Once all that is installed Ill get my 100yd zero and practice shooting from prone (since all my experience is benchrest with rear bag for load development). Ive never even tried a shot beyond 234 yds at a 6x6 railroad plate with my AR15, nor beyond 100 yds with this .308.

A level rifle, a solid zero, and repeatable turrets are paramount. Otherwise, it's not all that different from shooting from a bench with a rear bag. You'd be surprised what you can learn in a day class, that said, 2 is always better than 1! Haha

I bought my first savage 308 , have very little experience with rifle shooting just handgun competitions. I took a one day course with Dan at the end of Oct. and was hitting all steel out to 1000 yards with no problems. Even hit steel at 1200 yards with holdover. I need lower rings so I can dial in 1200 yards. Dan was a great instructor. This is my first post and I am now a long range junkie.

Hah, see? Proof positive right there. That's awesome.

It really was a great time. Having someone who knows his stuff teaching you really accelerated my learning curve. I could see wasting a lot of ammo and a lot of trips to the big range trying to figure it out myself. Dan's got a knack for figuring out trajectories and calling wind. The first made it easy to start building drop data and the latter made it easier for us to hit the targets. I still need a lot of practice with wind calls as my F-class and Rockcastle experiences showed, but getting hits and learning how to correct for misses was deeply gratifying and made the pursuit addictive.

One thing I might suggest is, if you haven't already, start getting used to shooting off the bipod. It is a bit like yoga insofar as you don't think about how much of your body you'll be using when you're getting into and out of as well as holding the position.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    One thing I might suggest is, if you haven't already, start getting used to shooting off the bipod. It is a bit like yoga insofar as you don't think about how much of your body you'll be using when you're getting into and out of as well as holding the position.
    Next item on the to do list is whip up about 20 rds each of my proven loads and shoot prone off the bipod as I have just now finally finished load development for this rig. Sage advice.

Basic Member
    Great place to shoot! You will need a 9-13" swivel bipod with notch adjustments. Or if you only have 6-9", he has extra carpet you can put underneath to raise it. Dan will have you hitting 1000yd steel the first day.

The only time I needed that much bipod was trying for the mile gong, but it was at a significantly elevated position relative to the firing position. My .243 was too high for my rear bag with the 9-13" bipod for most of the roughly flat shooting throughout the course. The sandbag you see under my rifle in the first photo of my write-up is to help me load it, not to increase the height. My subsequent experiences have led me to find a 6-9" works the best for me out to 1000 yards with the legs extended one notch. It's probably a matter of individual ergonomics and ballistics.

As Charlie says notches and a swivel are must-haves for sure.

Depends on where they put the mats. Charlie and I shoot there regularly, and the 900 and 1000 yard plates definitely benefit from height of the 9-13 there. I run 6-9s at most other places though.

Basic Member
    Last week on my way back to FL from PA i had the displeasure of having an alternator/battery failure while traveling south
    on I 77 just a few miles north of Wythsville VA. AAA sent road service to me which got me patched up enough to make it
    to a motel in Whythsville. Next day as he was replacing the alternater, i asked the guy who was a hunter, if he'd ever heard
    of Bangsteel as i knew it was in that area. He had never heard about it and could offer no information as to where it was.
    From where we were id think if you listened hard you could hear the shooting. Some day on my way thru that area id like
    to stop and see the place.

Sounds like you were right at it. He's just north of Wytheville, in Bland. It's actually held on a working cattle farm, so there isn't necessarily shooting every day though.

And they don't really have a sign out by the road! Getting there is something of an adventure in and of itself.

Basic Member
    Well, my bipod is a 6-9, no notches, and I built a 3" tall shooting block today out of an old 2x4. Should work well on the uphill shots. My load is a tack driver @ 100yds, can't wait for this course. Heading out to the neighbors on Monday and shooting 300yds (for the first time ever at that distance) to see how the load holds up. This journey has been extremely enjoyable and rewarding. I'm still in disbelief that a $600 rifle is capable of sub 1/2 moa accuracy out of the box. Tickled is the word.

Basic Member
    After that, F-T/R here I come!

Sounds like a plan. You'll be ok with a 6-9 on most shots. They have a few sand bags you may be able to put under the front end to raise it if you need. Your block may work too, as long as it's stable. As long as you've got a solid load at 100yds and a scope you can dial, the rest is just math. Dan will get you on target at distance with no trouble.

Basic Member
    Man what a great time! I shot way better than I thought I would. No equipment failures, only shot at the wrong plate once, and managed to put regular hits on all the plates out to 1k. 37 degrees, raining, about 4-5 mph intermittent winds. Just finished torquing and swabbing the rifle. The other shooter brought an HS precision model 10. No failures on his end either. Looking forward to tomorrow.
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

Basic Member
    Definitely bring a 9-13 bipod if you plan on attending. I'm using bags under my 6-9, and doing fine. But I wish I had a 9-13.
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Front Royalty View Post
    Man what a great time! I shot way better than I thought I would. No equipment failures, only shot at the wrong plate once, and managed to put regular hits on all the plates out to 1k. 37 degrees, raining, about 4-5 mph intermittent winds. Just finished torquing and swabbing the rifle. The other shooter brought an HS precision model 10. No failures on his end either. Looking forward to tomorrow.
    Awesome! Told you you'd have a great time and be ringing steel at 1k in no time! Dan and the guys up there are great people. You shooting tomorrow too? I'll be there next weekend for the match as long as I don't end up having to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Front Royalty View Post
    Definitely bring a 9-13 bipod if you plan on attending. I'm using bags under my 6-9, and doing fine. But I wish I had a 9-13.
    Ahem... I TRIED to warn you...

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Depends on where they put the mats. Charlie and I shoot there regularly, and the 900 and 1000 yard plates definitely benefit from height of the 9-13 there. I run 6-9s at most other places though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast