Thread: 308 gallery small game loads

Basic Member

308 gallery small game loads

Have read about these loaded with fast burn powder and 0 buckshot.
    To make a few to try why not pull a few shot gun shells?
    Seems like there would be enough 0 pellets and powder for about 10 loads in each shell

Basic Member
    Anybody tried this?

Basic Member
    I can in no way recommend this.. Get a shot gun. They are cheap. Removing all safety concerns, why would you want to do this? And what small game requires 10 single aught buck? That is .32", dangerous. #1 buck is .30", rough estimate, but still, why? Spend the 125 bucks and get a single shot .410 shotgun. It is safer. Please don't try this..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quinton View Post
    Have read about these loaded with fast burn powder and 0 buckshot.
    To make a few to try why not pull a few shot gun shells?
    Seems like there would be enough 0 pellets and powder for about 10 loads in each shell

IIRC John Wooters's (RIP) favorite jackrabbit load was the 308W, #0 or 1-1/2 buck pushed with a charge of pistol powder. To replicate it today for plunking-squib ammo Trail Boss powder would probably be a better choice than pistol powder.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguyshm View Post
    I can in no way recommend this.. Get a shot gun. They are cheap. Removing all safety concerns, why would you want to do this? And what small game requires 10 single aught buck? That is .32", dangerous. #1 buck is .30", rough estimate, but still, why? Spend the 125 bucks and get a single shot .410 shotgun. It is safer. Please don't try this..
    Where's the sport in that? Have multi other guns. I've been fascinated with idea of what can be done with one gun for multiple uses. It is a tactic that goes back to early muzzle loaders and has been slowly dying away.

Back in the 70's, I did that with the Speer .308 plinker bullet in a Remington 788 in 308. I can't remember what powder I used but I didn't do it long because of a number of safety concerns. With such a small powder charge, I had to use tissue or a light powder filler like cream of wheat to keep the powder at the base of the shell against the primer. You DO NOT want the charge to be in the front of the casing by the bullet at the time of ignition. That can cause all kinds of over pressure issues. Also, the strike of the firing pin drives the case forward but there is not enough energy to push the base of the case back against the bolt face causing the primer to back out of the pocket. This caused at the least, gas leakage and often the primer was pushed out of the pocket. This will cause erosion on your bolt face or if everything lines up just right, hot gas in you face. Ask me how I know about the gas in the face. It's not fun. The cases you use are now not good for regular use.

My suggestion is be safe and don't do it.
    Once I was young and stupid. Now that I'm no longer young-----