Thread: Bolt Head Question - HELP

Baryngyl

Bolt Head Question - HELP

I got my new bolt head and just went to change it, I ran into a bit of a problem.
    In the first photo you can see in the red circle a bit of a notch, this is the old bolt head, on the new bolt head you see there is no notch.
    Where the bolt head slides into the bolt body there is a indent on the outside and a raised spot on the inside that this notch fits into.
    The new bolt head does not have this notch and so will not slide into the bolt body all the way.
    Do I need to make a notch on the new bolt head or do I file and remove the raised spot on the inside of the bolt body?

The bolt spacer/shield has a cut away (shown circled in RED, first photo below) area that sits over a pin, this makes it so the spacer/shield can only rotate 90 degrees, on the new bolt it does not have the pin that is circled in the second photo down. This allows the spacer/shield to rotate completely around, does this matter?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Michael Grace

BillPa

Re: Bolt Head Question - HELP

What you have is an old action.

Pic #1
    The notch ( keyway) in the old bothead aligns with a key in the bolt body. They were used to prevent installing the bolthead 180 out. (upside down). The newer boltheads-bodies do not have them. To use that bolthead either the shaft would need to have the notch cut in or the key in the bolt body removed.

Pic #2-3
    The pin in the bolthead and the notch in the baffle were used to stop the bolt rotation when opened.

Another difference you'll find is the firing pin diameters. Your old pin will be .140". Newer pins are .095". The firing pin and bolthead retaining pin would need to be changed to the .095" or the bolthead shaft opened to accept the old pin diameter.

I have an old "Westpoint 410" exactly like your rifle with the exception it doesn't have the bolt guide on the baffle. Instead of going to all the trouble making,modifying and changing parts I stuck a new 30-06 barrel on it, stuffed it in a designer gray 200 stock and keep it around for a loaner rifle.

Bill

Netz

Re: Bolt Head Question - HELP

I had the same delima, except for the baffle.
    I took mine to a local machinist and he cut the slot into it, also ran a drill in the shaft to open it up for the larger firing pin.
    And as mentioned the other alternative would be to remove the tab in the bolt body (dremel tool), but you'll still need to open the hole for the firing pin, I think both of these mods could be done at home.
    Curt