Thread: Model 110 30-06 to a 6.5 X 55 or Creedmoor?

Model 110 30-06 to a 6.5 X 55 or Creedmoor?

Hey guys, new to the group as of today. Trying to find out if there are a ton of modifications needed to convert my Savage 110 in 30-06 over to something in 6.5MM. i'm comfortable in doing this, although, i've never done a barrel swap, but comfortable with guns and tools. I completely customized my Savage .243 into a great shooter but never have done a barrel swap. Is it easy to do? Barrels recommended that won't break the bank? Will my current bolt face/magazine work with 6.5mm cartridges?

Any help or input would be great...I've heard great things about this forum, so please point me in the right direction! Thanks in advance. Have a great day. :)

Basic Member
    Why not a 6.5-06? I wouldn;t go Creedmoor as it's a short action cartridge. It's an excellent cartridge but I would stick with long action cartridges in that action.

Basic Member
    +1
    If your doing the build on a long action then use it. 6.5x55 or 6.5-06.

Basic Member
    Step up to 7mm in a LA! You'll get similar trajectory and better ballistics.

7mm STW, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm WSM, 7mm-300win mag, so many options.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

I appreciate the advice! Is factory ammo readily available for a 6.5-06 or 7mm?

Welcome to the forum!
    Is it easy....yep. 15min tops (thats with double checking myself).
    Tools....I got mine from Jim at Northland Shooters Supply, hes one of our sponsors and is great to deal with. He has tools, barrels and the like.
    Several sponsors here have barrels that are very reasonable. Actually right now Dennis from accurate barrels has a steal going on till Dec 31. 299 for barrel, nut, and lug on in stock merchandise.
    Those cartridges will fit your bolt face. You have a long action, I personally would stay with a LA cartridge.
    Good luck!
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjs6125 View Post
    I appreciate the advice! Is factory ammo readily available for a 6.5-06 or 7mm?
    6.5-06 will not be as easy to come by as 7mm Rem Mag, which is probably the most 'standardized' of the 7mm cartridges, and even probably the 6.5s as well. If you're not reloading then I think it's going to be hard to beat the 7 mag, if you are reloading then the sky is the limit.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    +1 Winnie.. I looked around yesterday. Small amounts of 6.5 but loaded shelves of 7mm Mag at multiple stores.

6.5x55 Swede gets my vote. 140 gr Amax to 2900 fps or better easily. Will this be a hunting or bench gun? Sporter or varmint barrel. 6.5-06 would be a barrel burner if you run them hot and shoot alot.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    You could consider the 260 Remington or the 260 Rem AI. Many people run them on a long action to take advantage of the long 6.5 pills. And 260 factory ammo is readily available. I am a 6.5 fan. :-)

I'll also throw a 6.5 Swede hat into the ring. Gunshack.com has ER Shaw and McGowen pre fits for $199 and $299, both stainless steel 26" varmint contour.

I'll also throw a 6.5 Swede hat into the ring.
    Me too.

Team Savage
    PM sent! Just stay with .473 case head cartridges and go for it!

I turned a 25-06 into a Creedmoor, they feed just fine, and you are afforded any cartridge length that your barrel will allow.
    I built a 22-250 on a 7mm Rem Mag also, with no magazine/follower changes. Don't let anyone scare you off of that idea.

Your answer about how easy it is: Stupid simple. The biggest *Potential* issue is the barrel nut. The normal is to have it almost finger tight(loose), Vs. Dremel cutting it off.
    TAKE EVERYTHING off of the rifle, leave the scope bases on and you can have a train wreck. Get some tools, or the action vice at the bare minimum, where many go wrong is not being able to properly hold things when tightening the nut. If you have some proper tooling, not expensive just appropriate, then if you don't get cold sweats from tying your shoes; you are golden!

For the 6.5 sized animals, the Creedmoor is easily the most supported factory chambering, and the least expensive as well.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Team Savage

Model 110 30-06 to a 6.5 X 55 or Creedmoor?

I'm on the 6.5 X 55 train. Barrel at Northland Shooters, Grafs.com sells Lapua 120 and 136g scenar-L rounds for $68 per 50 rounds, which is an excellent way to break in a new barrel while accumulating awesome brass.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to get 6.5 -06 brass. The other guys seem to know. I went with the x55 because I knew I wasn't going to have time to fire form brass.

Either way you go, I love shooting 6.5MM in long action. 2800-2900 fps is easily achievable with 130-140g bullets, and at 600 yards they are still cruising flat.

jordyc
    im looking to do something similar to the posters question being new to this I am curius if im understanding correctly. I can take the 30-06 barrel off my 110 and instal a 7mm Mag and all I need is a new barrel? The action, bolt face etc all stays the same? What aboit the magazine?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jordyc View Post
    im looking to do something similar to the posters question being new to this I am curius if im understanding correctly. I can take the 30-06 barrel off my 110 and instal a 7mm Mag and all I need is a new barrel? The action, bolt face etc all stays the same? What aboit the magazine?
    you will need to change out the magazine and bolt head.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!