Thread: GRAPHIC N.Y. Woodchuck head shot pictures.

GRAPHIC N.Y. Woodchuck head shot pictures.

Having a nightmare triying to post pictures from photobucket hopefully this works.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/Hunter/Hunter003.jpg[/img]

There really is an excuse for everything!

Re: Woodchuck

of the 4 codes, you using the bottom one? [img] I click on the picture I want and then when the large view comes up I click on the img code and it responds saying "copied". never had as good of results with the right click and copy from the main page.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Thanks Blue I think I've got it. I shot this little pup this morning with my daughter at 115 yards. This is my 3rd one this year.

Here is a picture of my 10fp .308 4-16x cheap tactical scope. This thing is great for woodchucks.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/Hunter/Hunter006.jpg[/img]

Re: N.Y. Woodchuck head shotpic.

Heres the entry hole.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/Hunter/Hunter002.jpg[/img]

Dirk

You should have warned people that it was GRAPHIC. That's disgusting!

pa hog

The reality of a headshot usually is "GRAPHIC" ::)

Yeah, when I read "headshot", I was pretty much prepared to see blood...LOL
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Yes, preditor hunting ussually results in some pretty graphic situations. I warn anyone who is reading this that there is going to be an extremely graphic picture that I post in less than a hour. This chuck I shot this evening, 7:00 e.t. It is called a full body explosion.

pa hog

Like this

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Hog
    The reality of a headshot usually is "GRAPHIC" ::)
    Thats real life and a lot of people have never faced it. Just be glad we are farther up the food chain !!!

That is beautiful PA Hog that's what I like to see, a nice mature chuck. I promise you will see some big chucks in the mere future. I found this farm that has tons of woodchucks and it is me and my Savages's responsibility to take care of them. I also have a 110 Long action .243, that goes to duty too. Since I've found this awesome site, I will take pics. of every animal that my Savage tools take care of. I tell about everyone I know about this site.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/Hunter008.jpg[/img]

A pair for today.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/Hunter007.jpg[/img]

Re: GRAPHIC N.Y. Woodchuck head shotpic.

You should have warned people that it was GRAPHIC. That's disgusting!
    I don't understand :-\
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Dennis, originally I didn't have "graphic" in the front of my subject heading so I modified it later in the post, I don't want to offend anyone.

Understood:

I have made many headshots, some from the from the front between the eyes and exiting the rear! ;D

I agree though "GRAPHIC" should have been put in the header for the members who don't hunt like we do!

I love my 243 with 70gr Nossler Blassitic Tips! That 308 will shoot 180gr NBT's! Try them out!

PS: Did you mention your bullet used?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

The bullet I have been sticking with lately is Winchester 150gr soft point super-x. The reason is they are shooting under an inch at 100yards and they are fairly cheap at Wally World. Also I am saving the brass for when I can afford a reloading system, hopefully soon. I had a Lee system that I sold when I was young and dumb along with a handfull of rifles. I have had my 110 Long action .243 for over 10 years now and I am very attached to it and will never part with it or my new 10fp.308 no matter what.

I could'nt wait until the week end so I went out after work today and shot another pair, out of the same field. This field is around 1000yards x300yards. I'll try to get a picture of the field sometime, it is a very interesting layout with rolling knowls and long draws. The farmers were just about done bailing the hay when I saw a chuck about 300yrd away, so I laid down and flipped the bipod out and took aim. I had the crosshairs right where I wanted them but the woodchuck would'nt stand up, right about that time I heard something coming and I stood up to see what it was and it was one of the farmers cutting right between me and the woodchuck, so I let him on through and noticed the chuck went in it's hole. I decided to run over to Wally World get some more .308 150gr. Winshesters , and I was back in a half hour this time with some privacy. Immediatly saw a decent size one at 150yards, so I got around and snuck into the field very slowly, deployed the bipod and got on my belly. Crosshaired him for about 2 minutes, and noticed that it was not going to stand up. (must be due to cut hay) It was awkward for me because almost every woodchuck i've ever shot stood straight up for me. I put a gentle pressure to the accutrigger and POW, then thump. Neck shot on a low crawling mature female, rather small at 8-9 pounds. I bagged it hopped in the truck and drove around to the highest corner of the field, about 300 yrds from my first kill. Got out of the truck started walking slowly into the field when a young wood chuk stood up abou 20 yards ahead. It was smaller than the pair I shot last week so I let it go. Moved ahead 10 more feet stoped and used my bynoculars and saw another big sized chuck crawling around very low to the ground. This one I ranged at 237yrds. Pulled gently, pop,,,,thump, could see his back tail pointing straight up in the air for a split second. This was a headshot on a crawling low woodchuck, I was impressed. This one was a fairly large one at 11-12 pounds. I' couldn't make shots like that, my savage did. P.S. that flap in the big chuck's head is where the entire skull contents blew out.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/Hunter014.jpg[/img]

Exit

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/Hunter010.jpg[/img]

My next rifle I'm saving for is a 12LRPV left load, right eject in 6mmNormaBR, it'll be capable of taking chipmunks at 400 yards.

borg

Any reasonable person should expect to follow this link and find a post discussing a headshot on a large rodent using concise, clinical language so it doesn't shock or offend the casual reader...phbbt! I'm sorry, durr-durr-Dirk, but unless that was clever sarcasm, it is one of the most ridiculous things I've read.

But if it was clever sarcasm, then well done. ;D

Those are some pretty big rounds for those little chucks. Nice shooting for sure!

The devastation is incredible.

Basic Member

Nice shooting!

Another .308 hit. I'm using this for woodchuck's so I'l be very confident for deer season.

I shot this one this morning at 8:00 at 250yards. I took it back to the truck, and spotted another one at 350 yards, but I could'nt get a shot because there was another woodchuck hunter at the other end of the field.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/Hunter015.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/Hunter016.jpg[/img]