Thread: Best factory round for 111 trophy hunter XP .300 win mag

Clivediaz

Best factory round for 111 trophy hunter XP .300 win mag

Just got one of these on sale at dicks. Trying to figure out what factory ammo will give the best group. Any pointers? Plan to use it on Eastern Shore of MD and shots may be up to 300 yards.

Basic Member
    Buy several boxes of ammo and see which one your rifle likes best. There does not appear to be one brand of ammo that shoots best in every rifle. but good luck.

Clivediaz
    Trying to narrow it down. So far I've got Remington core lokt and hornady American whitetail. Looks like there are several dozen different rounds. Anyone with the same gun that has been able to get sub MOA with any factory ammo? At roughly$30-$50/box I'm trying to narrow it down to about 6 different rounds before I make it down to the the range next week.

Basic Member
    I had good luck with 180 grain Winchester power points. There are some higher end rounds that probably produce better results

Clivediaz
    Thanks. Was that the superformance?

Clivediaz
    Made it to the range on Sunday for a couple of hours.

The gun was supposedly factory bore sighted faith the Nikon BDC 3-9x40 it came with. At 40 yards the gun was not even on paper. After about 20 minutes till range was cold, 6 Remington core lokt rounds,a lot of head scratching and close inspection I found the scope was loose not only in the rings but also on the rail. So much for dicks sporting goods telling me it was factory bore sighted.

luckily I had some Allen wrenches in my box. Realigned scope, tightened rail mounts and rings. Pulled bolt out and set both cross hairs and line of sight through barrel roughly on paper. First shot with core lokt was about 3" right. Second round was almost touching.

Fired 2 hornady American whitetail 150 he and these were slightly higher. Zeroed in with these rounds at 40 yards. Next round at 100 yards. Both white tail 150 and superfotmance 180 were shooting about the same with groups slightly under 2".

Gotta buy buy more factory rounds and make a couple more trips.

Thanks for for all your help.