Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage axis 25-06 problem

ccfrasstchief@gmail.com

I got it back Christmas eve. No call or nothing just showed up. Invoice said checked headspace function fire and cleaned bolt all say pass. I'm not buying it. Gonna shoot it tomorrow and see then probably send it back again. I think it's time for them to give me a new gun mysel . Tired of owning a gun that I can't get thru a single season without it screwing up and costing me deer.

alamancecreek
    I had a Remington do the exact same thing. Started misfiring out of the blue. It was an entry level model and had been fired god knows how many times. I chalked it off to being wore out but ordered a new bolt in an attempt to fix the issue. It would fire a dozen times or so, then one round would just light strike the primer. I changed ammo, you name it. Nothing ever fixed it.

220_Swift
    All options mentioned are good avenues to examine.

I would make sure the bolt head retaining pin is installed correctly where the firing pin hole is duely lined up for the firing pin. Examine both pins for burrs...check OD of firing pin with firing pin hole in retaining pin. I would reset headspace using a go gauge or live round myself. Check time to time if barrel nut has loosened or backed away from the action.

Please upload some pix showing the readers the primer strike marks indicating good rounds from misfires...

In short...check firing pin protrusion through bolt face...you can grind a few thousands off the cocking piece to increase pin protrusion...if you want to pull firing pin and reset headspace on a live round like the army does in battle during barrel swapping....but be sure to use hot glue to hold the bolt head retaining pin in place while you go this route...don't let that retaining pin slip outside the bolt body or you'll have fun trying to remove your bolt.

I just had several misfires with my 116. I was using corlokts in 150 and 165 grn. I call remington and they sent a FedEx label for me to ship back. They sent a letter stating the unfired rounds primer strikes were lite and a check for the ammo I sent in. I switched to another brand and shot 2 boxes without issue.

I am planning on having the bolt checked anyway.

Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12