Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballistics charts

Ballistics charts

Using a couple different ballistics calculator to what adjustment actually need is off by a little over 1moa. I have checked and everything is entered like it should be.
    Any suggestions as to what could be throwing it off?

Thanks

Basic Member
    Which program are you using? I've used Ballstic AE and Bullet Flight with good success... Windage and elevation adjustments were within a 1+/- clicks of each other on both with the same data.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Hornady and then I have strelok on my phone.

Basic Member
    Altitude, barometric pressure, humidity are the first three that come to mind.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

LongRange
    What earl said and temperature...also use the G7 BC numbers...i use ballistics AE and shooter...ballistics AE is a little better and once you take it out in the field and true it up its dead on.
    Have you shot through a chronograph and know your FPS?

I have been using G1 and yes I know my fps.
    I had this exact same thing with my 243 also.

LongRange
    Also might want to try jbm and gun works G7 programs if you using your PC.

LongRange
    Change the G1 BC and see what happens.

Basic Member
    When you say it's off by a little over 1MOA, are you going by clicks? Your scope's actual adjustments could be different than stated.

It's an moa swfa scope.
    Running it with g7 bc gives the same drop.

Double check your scope height. I find that is the most over looked variable. That being said, being within a minute isn't to bad and truth be told I only use a ballistic program to get me close then fine tune and keep a log of what I actually have to dial to for any given range from my 200 yard zero. Ballistic calcs are nice but I would never trust one to actually hunt game or shoot a match with without spending the range time to verify actual drops.

Changing the scope height got it to within 1moa, with it off .25" it made it off 3moa at the distance I was shooting.
    I guess I have just been lucky in the past with other guns being almost perfect.
    Thanks for all the help!

Basic Member
    There is no such thing as (thee) perfect chart. Assuming you always shoot the same location,
    and the conditions are constant, then you can expect very similar results. Uphill/downhill is also
    a factor which is often ignored. And the fact is most shooters wont be keeping their shots within
    a minit of angle at 1000 yds. Especially when shooting at animals.

Amazing what 1/4" can equate to a?..........

Basic Member
    I know its very old school, but this seems to work to get you really close. Its an old book but its all science. Gets you awfully close.

http://www.amazon.com/Tables-Bullet-.../dp/0935632050

pitsnipe
    Mthomas90,

Not enough information to give you a moderately accurate answer. Is your 1MOA "off" in windage or elevation? Do you know what your adjusted MV is for the ammo temperature? What calculator/program are you using? With ballistics, a little garbage in WILL make a big difference in garbage out over 600 yards. In my opinion, calculators are worth their metal (all other factors considered like you are reading the wind correctly) at 800 yards plus.

Snipe

Quote Originally Posted by pitsnipe View Post
    Mthomas90,

Not enough information to give you a moderately accurate answer. Is your 1MOA "off" in windage or elevation? Do you know what your adjusted MV is for the ammo temperature? What calculator/program are you using? With ballistics, a little garbage in WILL make a big difference in garbage out over 600 yards. In my opinion, calculators are worth their metal (all other factors considered like you are reading the wind correctly) at 800 yards plus.

Snipe
    1moa off in elevation at 600 yards.
    My mv was taking with the temp within a few degrees of what I was inputting and shooting at.
    I was using hornady ballistic calculator and strelok. They both come up with almost identical adjustments. I suppose within 1moa is ok. I failed to change the scope height when I first ran it, it was 3moa with the default scope height.

I am just an amateur at all this

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mthomas90 View Post
    1moa off in elevation at 600 yards.
    My mv was taking with the temp within a few degrees of what I was inputting and shooting at.
    I was using hornady ballistic calculator and strelok. They both come up with almost identical adjustments. I suppose within 1moa is ok. I failed to change the scope height when I first ran it, it was 3moa with the default scope height.

I am just an amateur at all this
    Are you a hunter or is your interest strictly for target shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Are you a hunter or is your interest strictly for target shooting?
    Both

Basic Member
    Both
    How far are you from Garden City?

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    How far are you from Garden City?
    A little over four hours, I'm in Emporia.

Basic Member
    A little over four hours, I'm in Emporia.
    Well im in Emporium which sounds pretty close to where you are.
    Actually im about 18 miles from there. Anyway i have a couple of friends
    who are crazy about long range hunting who live in Garden City. I was supposed
    to hunt with them this year during the second week which as you know was last week.
    I was convinced that a round trip of about 3000 miles alone this time of year to that part of the country
    wasent a good idea. Especially for an 80 year old.
    If your interested, i can hook you up with them so you can get information on how they go about it.
    They have the right equiptment for sure. You will ultimatly come to realize the things that bother you now
    like your chart for example arent really all that important. You can drive yourself nuts if you allow it.
    The most important piece of equiptment any hunter but especially a long rang hunter can have are very good binoculars.
    For us that means very large tripod mounted binoculars. It also means having a buddy watching as you shoot and informing
    you where your shot went and what you need do should any correction be needed. Animals dont always show signs of being hit,
    even when hit solidly with good cartridges. Again the spotter can see that thru the binoculars. You can guess the distance and be
    on target with very few shots if you have a good spotter using good binoculars. As i said these guys have the equiptment and they
    can tell you how you can get it also.

The long range shooters I know use the calculated data to get them on target at the given range, and then make adjustments to their scopes as required to get it as perfect as possible. This info gets recorded into their data books as actual data and that is what is used for shooting from then on.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the repeatability and accuracy of the adjustments to your scope. The SWFA scopes are generally pretty decent, but I have seen them off more than you may think in an elevation test.

For long range shooting, take some 1 MOA grid paper and tape four of them together vertically to make one long ribbon. Hang it with a plumb bob to verify level-ness at 100 yards, and then shoot a 3-shot group near the bottom of the target. Come up 10MOA and shoot another 3-shot group. Come up another 10 and do the same (20MOA total over zero), and then a final 10 for a total of 30MOA above your zero. Measure from your zero to the center of your 10MOA up group. Measure from your zero to the center of the 20MOA group, and then the 30MOA group. Based on your given scope adjustments you will be able to calculate the real amount your scope adjusts per given click. You will likely find that a 1/4 MOA adjustment isn't exactly 1/4MOA when measured on paper.

Mine adjusts .27" per "1/4MOA" click, so I take that into consideration when trying to come up to longer ranges. Just a thought you may have overlooked. Cheaper scopes are generally less repeatable and are further away than a true 1/4MOA of 1/10MIL.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mmBR_Shooter View Post
    The long range shooters I know use the calculated data to get them on target at the given range, and then make adjustments to their scopes as required to get it as perfect as possible. This info gets recorded into their data books as actual data and that is what is used for shooting from then on.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the repeatability and accuracy of the adjustments to your scope. The SWFA scopes are generally pretty decent, but I have seen them off more than you may think in an elevation test.

For long range shooting, take some 1 MOA grid paper and tape four of them together vertically to make one long ribbon. Hang it with a plumb bob to verify level-ness at 100 yards, and then shoot a 3-shot group near the bottom of the target. Come up 10MOA and shoot another 3-shot group. Come up another 10 and do the same (20MOA total over zero), and then a final 10 for a total of 30MOA above your zero. Measure from your zero to the center of your 10MOA up group. Measure from your zero to the center of the 20MOA group, and then the 30MOA group. Based on your given scope adjustments you will be able to calculate the real amount your scope adjusts per given click. You will likely find that a 1/4 MOA adjustment isn't exactly 1/4MOA when measured on paper.

Mine adjusts .27" per "1/4MOA" click, so I take that into consideration when trying to come up to longer ranges. Just a thought you may have overlooked. Cheaper scopes are generally less repeatable and are further away than a true 1/4MOA of 1/10MIL.
    Actually, calculated data by way of some source such as JB or Shooter, or a host of others is used as a (starting) point.
    Then the numbers are or should be confirmed by actual shooting at the various distances. The corrected data is used from that point.
    As for a particular scope tracking exactly as it should, who cares? As long as you know how many clicks of the dial it takes
    to get to a certain distance with (that) scope, nothing else matters. Shooting is the only way to confirm anything.
    Repeat performance is another matter, and should be dealt with by obtaining a different scope.

Yobuck, your first three sentences are what I was trying to say. Maybe it didn't come out right.

If his calculator says it takes 20MOA to get to whatever range he wants to shoot at given correct temp/humidity/elevation/etc, but when he adjusts the 80 clicks (for 1/4MOA) for that range he is still off 1MOA the scope is the likely culprit. The way I read his issue is that the calculator states a certain amount of MOA for a come-up. When he dials that in, it is off by 1MOA. That tells me that ignoring shooter error the scope may not adjust properly as per its markings. A small amount of error in the micrometer inside the scope is magnified with every click.

In other words, the calculator tells him come up XX clicks to get to where he should theoretically be. He still needs X more clicks to adjust to actual point of impact. No calculator is perfect but being 1MOA off at 600 yards either the info into the calculator is off or the scope is. Or a combination of both.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast